The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Students react to new AmazonGO store

Photo credit/ Julie Potter, Gabby Ziegler
Has the shop been successful in its first semester of operations?

Marywood University’s new Pacer Nation convenience store, run by biometric AmazonGO technology, opened Nazareth Dining Hall at the beginning of the Fall 2023 semester.

The store is unique in that, once a payment method has been scanned, a customer can simply grab whatever merchandise they want and just walk out.
This technologically-advanced store is the first of its kind in Pennsylvania and only the third outlet like it in the nation on a college campus. Nazareth Dining Hall Executive Chef Robert Misko said this gives him a sense of pride.

During the grand opening on August 30, Sr. Mary Persico, I.H.M, Ed.D. said the idea to open up a store like this came from both the new technology and being the first in the state to have something like this.

“The dining hall staff came to me with this idea, and I said ‘Great’. We’re always striving to be number one in most things,” said Persico.

There is a lot more technology in place than one might assume upon first glance, such as weights that help detect what products have been removed or put back, and cameras that identify who has picked up an item, Misko said. Misko also said that although the construction went smoothly, that has not prevented a mishap every now and then.

Now that we are five weeks into the semester, students have had a chance to experience the new store and are reacting.

Some students say they are interested in checking out the new store, both because of the new technology and the convenience it provides. Dylan Campbell, a senior English major, attended the grand opening and said they would likely use it at least once.

“I don’t know how often I’ll use it, since I’m not on campus often,” Campbell said. “But I am intrigued by all of the new technology. I’ll probably try to use it a couple of times.”

Other students are not as optimistic; when The Wood Word reached out to students on social media via an Instagram post, the main issue that kept surfacing was that the AmazonGO store does not currently accept Pacer Points.

“Don’t know if it’s possible, but being able to use Pacer Points as well as a credit card would be amazing,” Bernadette Ferta, a senior art therapy major said.

Others also say that it is a waste of money, noting that there is another similar store–the Market at Marywood–in McGowan.

Not everyone agrees with the addition of a major corporate force like Amazon on campus.

“This is too excessive,” said Sophia Calese, a sophomore history and pre-law double major. “No one uses the one in (McGowan), so what’s gonna change with this one? Not to mention, we don’t need more Amazon things clouding up everything in our daily lives.”

The new store is open 24 hours a day and is available to all students, whether one has a meal plan or not. Only debit and credit cards are accepted, due to the biometric technology. However, Misko said he is sure it will continue to be used long after the novelty has worn off.

“I hope students, whether they’re a commuter or resident, love it as much as (the Dining Hall staff) does,” said Misko.

Contact the Writer: [email protected]