Annual campus safety report shows increases in liquor law violations

Photo credit/ Julie Potter

Marywood’s annual campus safety report shows that violations of university alcohol policies are on the rise.

Referrals for liquor law violations have increased for the past two years. In 2022, there were 39 referrals, compared to 27 in 2021 and 20 in 2020.

While the referrals nearly doubled between 2020 and 2022, they represent under 6% of the total on-campus student population as reported in the 2022 – 2023 Marywood Fact Book.

Pasqualicchio explained the response to these violations is to educate residents on Marywood’s alcohol consumption and drug use policies.

As noted in Marywood’s student handbook, possession and/or consumption of alcohol and illicit drugs is prohibited on Marywood’s campus.

In accordance with the regulations of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (DFSCA), Marywood conducts a biennial review that highlights university-organized alcohol and drug abuse prevention initiatives, conduct procedures and Marywood’s Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program.

This review will be reissued later this year.

The safety report also shows that there were four instances of theft on campus in 2022.

To stay safe on campus, Pasqualicchio advised walking with a friend, especially at night. He also recommends keeping valuables in a safe and secure place.

“A lot of crimes end up to be crimes of opportunity,” he explained. “If it’s valuable, don’t leave it lying around.”

Pasqualicchio also recommended students download the Panic Button with Omnilert App. The Omnilert App is a personal panic button that can be downloaded via Apple or Google to a cell phone. If activated, the app will immediately call Campus Safety, which continually monitors app activity.

The report also highlights the safety procedures protocols, emergency procedures, fire drill records and records of crimes and violations of campus laws and procedures. It is prepared by The Campus Safety Department to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act.

To report crime or campus policy violations, students can call Campus Safety at 570-348-6242 or use the Silent Witness Incident Tip Form to report incidents anonymously.

Members of the Marywood Community can also sign up for the e2Campus Emergency Alert System to be notified about emergencies and campus closures.