‘Til next time

Jeremy Barket, Design Editor

I won’t forget any of the teachers who pushed me to learn inside the classroom, but as a graduating senior, the most important lessons are those you learn outside the classroom. So here are some words of wisdom, based on my small amount of life experience, for any current students, or really – anyone.

1. Jump at every opportunity. Join clubs, get to know your professors, and always work hard – that’s what will open doors for you.

2, Learn how to balance school, work, sleep, and a social life. Too much of any of these are a bad thing.

3. It’s okay to say no. Sometimes you try to be the ‘everyman’ and eventually you realize you’re spread too thin. Give yourself a break and don’t be too hard on yourself.

4. Be prepared to make friends. In ways you never thought possible.

5. Be prepared to lose friends. In ways you never thought possible.

6. Have some fun. Hang out with friends until 2:00 a.m. on a school night. Go to a party. Be a goof.

7. Learn to deal with setbacks. Inevitably, unfavorable and unavoidable things are going to happen to you. It’s a great opportunity to think critically about who you are as a person.

8. Be open to change. If you don’t change for the better, you’re not growing as a person.

9. Understand the realities of the “real world.” Nobody in the real world is going to care if you don’t have the best GPA of your college class. So stop stressing.

10. Know that there’s great risk is not taking a risk. Finally, when you graduate, you’re going to have to make the decision, sooner or later, about what you want to do with your life. Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow. Just remember that there are plenty of risks by taking a chance, but there are plenty of risks by not taking a chance.

Ultimately, don’t sweat the small stuff. You don’t have to know what career you want to go into or what field you’ll want to further your studies. College is a learning experience. You’ll be okay.