Zeta Phi Delta continues support of Komen foundation

Photo credit/ Autumn Granza

A sea of pink flooded the streets of Scranton for Susan G. Komen’s Race for the Cure.

Autumn Granza, Editor-in- Chief

The sisters of Zeta Phi Delta just participated in their yearly sisterhood tradition: helping with the Susan G. Komen’s Race for the Cure.

The race raises funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer as well as celebrates breast cancer survivors and honors those who have lost their battle with breast cancer. The Komen Race for the Cure was held Sept. 20.

“I participated in the walk, along with my other beautiful sisters. We all look forward to this every year! Some of our sisters even ran the 5k so shout out to them,” said Kelly Paukovits, Zeta Phi Delta president and senior art therapy major.

The night before the walk, the sorority hosts its annual “Pink Party” where they make bows and decorations for the race as well as design decorative bras for the “Bra Crawl” later in October.

Zeta Phi Delta was founded on Oct. 6, 2001. At the time of the sorority’s founding, Susan G. Komen was chosen as its charitable organization.

“Susan G. Komen was founded by one sister making a promise to another sister. That promise was of a world without breast cancer. It’s up to us to stand united until the promise is fulfilled and the cures are found,” said Lisa Patmos, a junior early childhood education/special education major.

Not only is the Komen Race for the Cure a tradition for Zeta Phi Delta, but also the sorority has been in the top ten fundraising teams for Northeast Pennsylvania.

“It’s so important to the sisterhood because in today’s day and age, everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer, and this is our way of fighting back,” said Patmos.

Together, the sorority has a goal: to make sure that no one has to go through breast cancer alone and that someday no one has to go through breast cancer at all.

In addition to the Komen Race for the Cure, the sorority will host a Pink Tea Party in the spring in collaboration with Susan G. Komen. The sorority also works with a local organization called Breast Friends. Throughout October, Zeta Phi Delta makes chemotherapy support baskets as well as hosts a pretty party for breast cancer survivors and helps them with their annual Bra Crawl.

“We truly are a group of unique, young women looking to come together to support those battling breast cancer, celebrate those who have overcome breast cancer, and devote our time towards such an important aspect of every man and woman’s life out there today,” said Paukovits. “As the back of our shirts said, ‘We walk so that little girls will grow up in a world where pink ribbons are for pony tails and prom dresses.’ That’s what we want to help achieve.”

Campus wide, Zeta Phi Delta holds awareness events such as a Breast Cancer Memorial Night, a “Pink Out,” and a ribbon distribution.

“I personally feel that it’s important to participate and help out because we’re all so fortunate,” said Patmos. “Of course everyone has a bad day, hands in homework late, or fights with their significant other but when you step back and realize how privileged we are to be healthy … we’re better off than a huge percentage of this world.”