10 Questions with an Athlete: Kelly Chadwick, Volleyball

Brandon Melo

Evan Felser, Sports Editor

Kelly Chadwick

Year: Senior

Major: English

Hometown: Middletown, N.Y.

1. When did you start playing volleyball?

My parents put me in volleyball camps starting in third grade, but I didn’t play for an actual team until seventh grade.

2. What is your favorite part about playing volleyball?

I love the team aspect of it. Plenty of communication leads to playing great volleyball. When we get a huge point in a game and the whole team comes together in the middle of the court to celebrate, that moment is my favorite.

3. Who are your favorite athletes?

The chemistry between Kerri Walsh and Misty May Treanor is incredible. They both work hard and strive to be the best they can be. They better one another and play amazing volleyball.

4. What music do you listen to before the game?

I generally listen to country music. It helps to keep me calm and relaxed before a big game.

5. What is your favorite thing about being on a team sport?

There are six girls on a court, that’s 30 by 30 feet. That means there has to be a lot of trust and communication. When a team clicks and the chemistry is there, it’s awesome.

6. What has been the highlight of your career?

I think breaking the single season-assists record last year during the quarter final game against Baptist Bible was one of my greatest accomplishments. Our playing was spot-on and we were able to pull together and play one of our best games.

7. What are some of your strengths in volleyball?

Setting is my biggest strength. I touch the second ball and pick who to set and when. I can read the opposing blockers and where my teammates are. Setting them up for a kill is what I do best. Other than that, serving is my next best skill. It’s the only part of the game that you can totally control.

8. What has volleyball taught you about life?

Playing volleyball has taught me about time management. As a student-athlete, it gets busy between classes, school work, practices, and having a social life. I think in my final year at Marywood I have finally figured out how to balance everything. Being part of a team sport has also taught me how to better communicate with people.

9. Where do you see this volleyball team going this fall?

I definitely believe that we have the ability to be CSAC champions. The last several years we have gotten fourth place, but this team is really promising. We get better in each game we play, and with each practice too. We can only go up from here.

10. What do you plan on doing after Marywood?

I will graduate this December with a degree in English. I hope to continue my education and go to graduate school back home.