10 Questions with an Athlete: Stephanie Bagniewski, Softball

Photo credit/ Photo credit: Alex Weidner

Due to the weather, Women’s softball practiced in the gym.

Alex Weidner

Evan Felser, Sports Editor

Stephanie Bagniewski

Year: Junior

Major: Biology

Hometown: Cranford, New Jersey

When did you start playing softball?

I started playing softball probably when I was in the womb of my mom. My sister played softball and my brother played baseball. My mom and dad were the coaches for them. I started off being the bat girl for them growing up. I would play with the older girls, and something about it made me want to keep playing.

What is your favorite part about playing softball?

I think the best part about playing softball is the chemistry you have with your teammates and the players on the other team. The friendships that you form, which last a lifetime from travel ball, to high school ball, the bond you form lasts forever.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?

My favorite professional athlete is Jenny Finch, who is a softball player. She is an amazing pitcher that has won gold medals for Team USA. And even though softball is no longer in the Olympics, she is an inspiration for all girls playing softball. She has great words of wisdom that she gives us every day.

What music do you listen to before the game?

My music choice before a game is honestly the most random selection that you would probably think. I listen to rap, to musicals, and pop music.

What is your favorite part about being on a team sport?

The best part about being on a team sport is again the connections. It is great being able to trust people that you play with. Having that trust with not only yourself, but also your teammates and coaches. Knowing that they’re always there for you no matter what happens.

What has been the highlight of your softball career?

I would have to say the highlight of my softball career was when we made it to the NCAA tournament. I hit my first collegiate home run and that put us ahead in the game.

What are some of your strengths on the softball field?

I think some of the strengths that I bring to the softball field are being a team player. Not playing for myself, but for everyone around me. I know my parents are always there at my games. So I’m also playing for them, and I use the skills that they taught me. Also, to help my teammates who also help me. So just being a overall team player.

What has softball taught you about life?

Softball has taught me to be who you are, and trust everyone around you; it’s a team sport. Trusting everyone around you and playing together as a team.

What are some of your duties as captain of the team?

Being captain, you’re chosen to be a leader. So I have coach calling all hours of the day, telling me to relay messages. I think that teaches me not only something for now in life, but also in the future. To make sure that everyone is informed, which has helped bring everyone closer together.

What do you plan on doing after Marywood?

After Marywood, I plan on becoming a successful physician’s assistant and hopefully paying my parents back for all they have given to me.

Contact the writer:  [email protected]