Marywood softball ranked seventh in the country for highest GPA

Alexandra Graziano, Contributor

Marywood University’s softball team had the seventh highest GPA in the country during the 2016-2017 academic year, according to the National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association (NFCA).

The team garnered a 3.620 GPA, placing them seventh overall in the NCAA Division III. Newbury College posted the highest GPA with a 3.695, followed by Stevens Institute of Technology (3.675) and Amherst (3.654).

This is not the only time Marywood’s softball has been recognized for its academic success. Fourteen players earned NFCA All-American Scholar-Athlete Honors while the entire team earned a Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) Academic Award in June. However, this is the team’s first time placing in such high standing.

Sophomore outfielder Katie Epler said the whole team is excited about placing seventh.

“I knew we did well because a bulk of the team got ‘All America Scholar Athletes’ for last year, but I didn’t think that it was going to be that good,” said Epler.

She added that although the team is pleased with a top 10 placing, they have plans to improve that mark.

“We’re pretty much psyched but we want to try and get top five next year,” Epler said.

Assistant Softball Coach Nicole Malloy said she is glad the team received recognition for their hard work.

“I think it’s a great honor. The team in general works really hard so I was happy they got the recognition they deserved,” said Malloy.

Team players and coaches are not the only ones pleased with the outstanding academic success.

Dr. Mary Jo Gunning, director of Athletics and Recreation, said she was ecstatic about the recognition.

“It’s wonderful, it’s part of our mission. I’m as proud of our teams’ academic successes as much as their athletic successes. What we do on the field, or off the field, are of same importance,” said Gunning.