The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Did the Women’s Basketball Team Make an Electric Start?

Photo credit/ Antonia Summa

A new season of women’s basketball has begun, with the Pacers facing off against Clark Summit University in their first game. The first half was one sided as the Pacers entered the break up 23. Marywood remained in control for the entire game, winning 82-42. Rachel McDonald and Mia Blume would combine for half of the team points, along with 15 rebounds.

The Pacers returned home for two games as they played Wilkes University and their crosstown foes, the University of Scranton. Marywood and Wilkes were in a back and forth battle all game, but a four minute scoring drought cost the Pacers the contest as they lost 56-50. Three days later, the Pacers faced off against the University of Scranton. Scranton jumped out to an early lead and never gave it up. The Pacers struggled on both sides of the court and Scranton won in dominant fashion by a score of 76-35.

Marywood went back on the road for three games, with its first stop at Susquehanna University. Once again, the Pacers started out slowly and found themselves down by 15 at the half. The Pacers tried to rally but Susquehanna would have its way in this one as they won 70-47. Kendel Card and Alli Griscavage combined for 20 points.

The Pacers three-game losing streak ended as they won the next two contests, but it didn’t come easily. First, they would have eight different lead changes against Rutgers-Newark in the first half and only be up by one at the break. Despite the challenge, the Pacers pulled out the 72-66 victory with Griscavage scoring a career high 19 points. Next, they played Keystone College and led by as much as 15 points. Keystone would bring it back to a two-point game before the end of the third, but then McDonald took over the game. She scored a career high of 23 points and won it for the Pacers, 75-67.

The final two games of the month were against DeSales University and Lebanon Valley College. Marywood struggled offensively against DeSales, failing to score over eight points in two of the quarters. The Pacers defense allowed 33 points in the third quarter and they fell to DeSales, 89-39. Looking to bounce back, they traveled to Lebanon Valley for the final game. The Pacers quickly found themselves down by 13 and were unable to fight back. After going 3 for19 from three point range, Marywood fell 63-53.

Head coach Jennifer Carleton and the Pacers finished the month with a record of 3-5. McDonald and Griscavage had a lot of success on all sides of the court. McDonald led the month in points, assists and steals. Griscavage led in rebounds and blocks.

All statistics are from MarywoodPacers.com as of December 6.