Five NFL Teams with the Most Interesting Off-Seasons

Photo credit/ Alexander Jonesi/ https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bill_Belichick_2019_(cropped).jpg
With the Belichick era ending in New England, what’s next for the Patriots?

With Super Bowl LVIII concluding the 2023-2024 NFL season, it’s officially off-season. Here are five teams that have the most interesting off-seasons.

Chicago Bears
Any team who has the first overall pick in the NFL draft is going to have an interesting off-season. Add the fact that the top quarterback in class is being compared to one the best players in the NFL, Patrick Mahomes, and it makes the situation even more intriguing. However, the fans don’t want the team to move on from current QB Justin Fields, making the situation the most prominent storyline of the 2024 NFL off-season.

Thanks to Chicago’s trade with the Carolina Panthers last year, they possess the first overall pick. The top quarterback, if not player, in this year’s draft class is Caleb Williams, the 2022 Heisman Trophy winner, who has been the consensus number one pick for over a year. For any team, this pick would be a no-brainer. However, current quarterback Justin Fields has shown flashes of excellence, more so than ever this past season. Will the Bears trade Fields, trade their top pick, or decide to pass on Williams altogether? Bears’ general manager Ryan Poles has a tough decision to make, one that could alter the trajectory of the franchise.

Along with the storylines surrounding the top pick, the Bears still hold their own pick, which is ninth overall. The Bears could go in a variety of different ways. The first, and most likely, way they could go with the pick is building up the offensive line, one that finished tied for seventh most sacks allowed this season. Fields saw success with the addition of star receiver DJ Moore, so it’s possible Chicago grabs one of the many electric receiving prospects. They could also address their lackluster pass rush, as the defense only tallied 30 sacks, the second least in the NFL.

Outside of the draft, Chicago is looking for a way to retain cornerback Jaylon Johnson, who has become one of the premier defensive backs in the league. In free agency, Poles could address any of the areas that he doesn’t with his early round draft selections.

Los Angeles Chargers
Following an embarrassing loss in last year’s AFC Wild Card, which saw Los Angeles blow a 27-point lead, the Chargers’ hopes were high that they could return to the playoffs, with expectations of making a deep run. However, Los Angeles was a shell of the team they were the year before, winning just five games, leading to the firing of head coach Brandon Staley.

The Chargers replaced him with Jim Harbaugh, who is coming off leading the University of Michigan to a National Championship. Harbaugh spent four seasons as the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, leading them to three playoff appearances, two NFC West titles, and to Super Bowl XLVII.

As for the roster, Los Angeles is on the hook for a sizable amount of money. They have to make the tough decision of who they would cut to alleviate the pressure put on their cap space. The Chargers might have to part ways with game wrecking edge rushers Joey Bosa or Khalil Mack, if not both. Also potentially out the door in L.A. are Keenan Allen, who set a career high in receptions, and Mike Williams, who has been the Chargers big-bodied, redzone receiving threat.

The Chargers have to fill many of the offensive positions that are being left by the likes of running back Austin Ekeler and tight end Gerald Everett, and possibly more depending on Allen’s and Williams’ future in L.A. It seems increasingly likely that the Chargers will draft Georgia tight end Brock Bowers. The Chargers will probably continue to use their draft picks to build around gunslinging quarterback Justin Herbert.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
In the first year of the post-Brady era, Tampa Bay was expected to regress immensely. Instead, they won the NFC South title and were on the doorstep of earning a spot in the NFC Championship game. Baker Mayfield, who was signed to a one-year, prove-it deal showed that he still has plenty left in the tank, after last season looked like the beginning of the end of his career.

The Buccaneers have to decide which players they will retain from this year’s team. Mayfield feels like a lock to return to Tampa Bay, earning a multi-year deal. Wide receiver Mike Evans is on the market and will be a hot commodity, as he’s been elite for a decade, collecting at least 1,000 yards in every season. Defensively, linebackers Lavonte David and Devin White, and safety Antoine Winfield Jr. are all on the market, so Tampa Bay will be trying their best to retain the trio.

If the Bucs are unable to, they possess seven picks in this year’s draft, with one in each of the first three rounds. They could fill the holes that might be left by the free agents, or could turn their focus to patching up their secondary, which allowed the fourth most passing yards.

New York Giants
Head coach Brian Daboll was able to get the most out of quarterback Daniel Jones in his first season as head coach, even leading the Giants to a Wild Card round victory. His second season was much more turbulent. Jones was given a large contract, but failed to show that he was worth the paycheck, before suffering a season-ending ACL tear. Though it seems that New York isn’t willing to move on from Jones quite yet, they hold the sixth pick in the draft.

The Giants will spend each of their first three picks, including two second round picks, on upgrading their offensive line, after they allowed a league-worst 85 sacks, 20 more than the next nearest team, as well as receiving weapons for the returning Jones. However, it’s interesting to see if a change of heart will occur and New York will take LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels.

Besides their quarterback debacle, the Giants have to try to retain explosive running back Saquon Barkley, who’s hit the open market and will yield a plethora of offers. Another big free agent for them is safety Xavier McKinney, who improved tremendously from last season. If New York isn’t able to retain either one of Barkley or McKinney, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Giants remain in the cellar of the NFL.

New England Patriots
With Bill Belichick’s time with the Patriots concluding, New England is in a territory that they haven’t experienced for over two decades. New England finished with its worst record of Belichick’s tenure. It seems that Mac Jones’ time as starting quarterback is wrapping up, with the Patriots having the third pick.

Caleb Williams might go within the top two picks, so it’s very likely that North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye seems like the prominent replacement for Jones. If Maye was to be selected, Daniels would be the next option.

Besides the quarterback, New England’s pass rush was subpar, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them spend multiple picks on their front four. Wide receivers will also be a priority for the Patriots, so whether they go with a deep draft class or free agents group, New England will bring at least one or two this off-season.