Wrestlemania XL Night One Predictions

Photo credit/ https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wrestlemania_Neutral_Logo.svg

The Showcase of the Immortals is upon us and this year’s edition should be one of the greatest the WWE has ever produced. What will night one hold for Wrestlemania XL?

Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns and the Rock
Vincent: Roman Reigns and The Rock
Since the Royal Rumble in January, this quartet has dominated Raw and Smackdown every week. The former rivals of Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins look to take down a common enemy, Roman Reigns and his cousin, the final boss, The Rock. With “Bloodline Rules” on the table for night two of Mania, it seems undeniable that chaos will ensue, so the Bloodline will reign supreme.

Felix: Roman Reigns and The Rock
This may be considered one of the biggest tag team matches in wrestling history, and with good reason. A match filled with world champions and future hall of farmers should shape up for a fantastic event. However, the ending of this fight could be controversial. Reigns’ matches are filled with cheating and unfair advantages. It is very likely that The Tribal Chief and The Rock will steal this one.

Bernie: Roman Reigns and The Rock
Ever since The Rock returned to his Hollywood persona a few weeks ago, he has breathed fresh air into this story. The potential “Bloodline Rules” stipulation for Roman vs Cody on night two is too good to pass on. Seth will probably take the pin to keep Cody looking strong, but I’m curious to see how Rocky performs 11 years after his last match.

Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Becky Lynch – Women’s World Championship
Vincent: Rhea Ripley
After being victorious at Elimination Chamber, Becky Lynch earned another opportunity to showcase why she has been one of the company’s best wrestlers. However, Lynch is running into arguably her toughest challenge yet, as Rhea Ripley has been possibly the most dominant figure in the women’s division. Though I believe Lynch will have many spots where it seems she’ll take the belt away from Ripley, “Mami” will continue her historic reign as Women’s World Champion.

Felix: Rhea Ripley
Lynch earned another title match at Maina after she was victorious at the Elimination Chamber back in February. The only thing that stands in her path for glory is one of the most dominant and exciting women’s champions in recent memory. Ripley has been on a tear after winning the championship a year prior. There is no reason to take the title off the face of the women’s division and The Man will have more opportunities in the future.

Bernie: Rhea Ripley
This match has been highly anticipated since Ripley won the title from Charlotte Flair last year at Wrestlemania 39. The bout features two of the biggest female stars currently in the company, leaving no doubt that it could be match of the night. Rhea should retain since she’s been so dominant and it makes no sense for Becky to end this historic reign because she doesn’t need another championship victory.

Gunther (c) vs. Sami Zayn – Intercontinental Championship
Vincent: Gunther
I believe that this match is setting up a long-term storyline between Gunther and Chad Gable. In a recent episode of Raw, Gable told Zayn that he can’t beat Gunther and I believe that will be true in this instance. I believe WWE is building the storyline between Gable and Gunther similarly to the storyline of Rocky IV, where Gable warns Zayn that he can’t win, as Rocky did to Apollo Creed, though both ignore the warning. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Zayn be “injured” in the match, leading to him being off camera for a few months, while Gable will eventually be the one to knock off Gunther for the belt.

Felix: Gunther
The longest reigning Intercontinental Champion has another challenger for his prestigious title. Zayn’s road to Wrestlemaina wasn’t easy as he had to win a gauntlet match to earn his chance at history. The underdog from the underground has made a career out of being overlooked but tonight he will be cut short. Although Zayn’s chances may not be too high in this fight, he should give Gunther a run for his money. Nevertheless, The Ring General’s historic reign continues.

Bernie: Gunther
The Ring General heads into Wrestlemania XL one year removed from retaining his title in a classic triple threat match at Wrestlemania 39. He’ll have an easier defense this time as he finds himself in a singles bout against Sami Zayn. Sami outlasted Chad Gable in a gauntlet match on the 3/11 episode of RAW to earn himself a shot at the Intercontinental Championship. Guther has great matches with everyone and this won’t be an exception, but I think he’ll hold onto the belt for a little while longer before he jumps to the world title picture.

Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso
Vincent: Jimmy Uso
Just a year ago, we saw the Usos defending their tag team titles on the Grandest Stage of Them All. This year, we get sibling against sibling, Yeet vs. No Yeet. With my other predictions pointing to the Bloodline being victorious, I believe Jimmy will win, making the Bloodline look even more dominant heading into night two.

Felix: Jey Uso
The battle of the siblings is going to be a thrilling affair. Main event Jey Uso has been creating a name for himself in singles competition and even earned multiple championship opportunities. Jimmy has stuck with Reigns and been doing his dirty work. Both have crossed paths before but now they face on the biggest night of wrestling. It is going to be interesting to see if the brothers are going to spill out their emotions for one another or if they are going to show full aggression. Jey Uso is going to defeat his brother in an explosive match.

Bernie: Jey Uso
This is probably the match I’m least excited to see on the card. They started this rivalry last summer but it was put on hold until the Royal Rumble, a span of almost five months. A lack of consistent build has doomed it for me, but that doesn’t mean it won’t turn out to be quality. However, it’s up to a coin toss for who I choose to win with Jey being heads and Jimmy being tails. I flipped the coin and it landed on heads, so here we are.

Judgement Day vs. #DIY vs. The New Day vs. Awesome Truth vs. New Catch Republic vs. A-Town Down Under – Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship
Vincent: Awesome Truth and The New Day
I believe this is when WWE is going to separate the tag team titles. With R-Truth being a comedic character, there will be a spot where he grabs one set of the titles, thinking that match is over, before being attacked by Xavier Woods of the New Day, who will grab the other set of titles. With confusion ensuing, both the New Day and Awesome Truth will be announced as champions of the titles that their respective members grabbed.

Felix: The New Day
Tag team ladder matches are one of the most entertaining stipulations in the whole industry. There are so many possibilities of electrifying battles and specific spots throughout the ring. The teams involved are talented and can make funny situations. R-Truth is probably going to do something outrageous and Awesome Truth is going to get a loud pop. Nonetheless, The New Day will come out victorious.

Bernie: Awesome Truth and New Catch Republic
This match reeks of chaos and I can’t wait to see it. I actually wrote down two teams to win because the tag titles need to be separated, and this match is the perfect way to do so. Picture this: Awesome Truth and New Catch Republic are on top of different ladders and each team grabs onto the titles for a tug-of-war type spot. Eventually, both teams fall off the ladders holding separate sets of championships. I think R-Truth’s comedy character could make this work and it’s a great way to give each belt a well-overdue redesign.

Jade Cargill, Bianca Belair and Naomi vs. Asuka, Kairi Sane and Dakota Kai
Vincent: Jade Cargill, Bianca Belair and Naomi
Jade Cargill recently debuted on Smackdown and this will be an opportunity for her to showcase why WWE brought her in. The strength she brings will be put on full display and the loss could lead to some turbulence between Damage CTRL in the coming weeks.

Felix: Jade Cargill, Bianca Belair and Naomi
This match is mostly on the card to highlight the newly signed member of Smackdown, Cargill. She was a star in AEW and even held the AEW TBS Championship for over 500 days. They are going to make her look strong and controlling in the tag match. It is going to be a bad weekend for Damage CTRL as they pick up another loss.

Bernie: Jade Cargill, Bianca Belair and Naomi
This one is a no-brainer because of one name: Jade Cargill. She recently debuted on the 3/29 episode of Smackdown, but she’s already set to make an impact in the women’s division. After coming to WWE from All Elite Wrestling and showing off her incredible strength in the 2024 Royal Rumble, it’s time to make her mark. Naomi grabbing a win would help her a ton as she’s been losing most of her matches since her return in January.

Rey Mysterio and Dragon Lee vs. Dominic Mysterio and Santos Escobar
Vincent: Dominic Mysterio and Santos Escobar
Escobar needs a victory to help build his character as a heel. After turning on the LWO, he hasn’t done much, but this would give him the opportunity to. This also allows Dominic Mysterio to get revenge on his “deadbeat” dad after losing to him a year ago. The match can very easily be the most underrated of the weekend, as all four wrestlers are incredibly talented.

Felix: Rey Mysterio and Dragon Lee
It is going to be intriguing to see how Lee does in his Wrestlemania debut with Mysterio. The newest member of Latino World Order is a young and impressive talent that is climbing the ranks. This should be an enjoyable tag match with significant action.

Bernie: Dominic Mysterio and Santos Escobar
Santos Escobar turned heel a couple months ago, but it hasn’t paid off in the way I wanted it to. He needs this win so he can establish himself as a more serious threat going forward. This match could lead to a singles bout between him and Rey which, to me at least, is the money match of this feud.

Contact the writers: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]