The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Pacers Sports Report: A Loaded Week with High Scoring Match Ups

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Baseball
On Saturday, the baseball team traveled to Hackettstown, NJ to take on the Centenary University Cyclones in a double header. After three innings of play Marywood found itself down 1-3. However, The Pacers fought back and scored four runs to take the lead. In the sixth, the Cyclones tied it up at 5-5 a piece. Marywood quickly retook the lead after a Tristan Gatchalain double that sent Cameron Kohut home. The Cyclones were unable to answer back and Marywood won game one 6-5.

The Pacers were feeling déjà vu as Marywood were down big again after three innings in game two. This time, it was 1-5. Marywood got back on the board in the fifth from an Adam Ginsberg single that made Christian Michak score. Then Max Slusser hit a single which brought Ginsberg and Joel Ayers home. In the next inning, Ginsberg singled and Joe Yannelli tied it back up at 5-5. Vinny D’Auria hit a single of his own and brought two runners home. The Pacers were able to hold onto the lead and were victorious, 8-7.

The next day, Centenary University played Marywood once again but this time the Pacers were at home. Both schools were tied at 1-1 a piece until the fifth inning came around. The Cyclones found its groove and were able to bring three runners home. The Pacers’ drought finally came to an end when Michak homered to make it a two run deficit. Centenary would respond with a home run to make the lead 6-2. In the ninth Gatchalain smashed the ball over the fence, but the Pacers still lost, 6-5.

Marywood was back in action this past Tuesday as the team took on the King’s College Monarchs. It started out with King’s College getting two runs on the board but Marywood got itself on a roll. Through innings three to six, it would score seven runners and take the big lead. The Monarchs were not going out without a fight and scored eight runs to keep the game close. However, AJ Giannetti and Yannelli both hit RBI singles to secure Marywood the big win. The Pacers were victorious in the high scoring battle, 14-10.

Softball
On Sunday, Marywood had a home doubleheader against the Marymount University Saints. Game one did not go the way of the Pacers as hoped as the team was down 5-0 after four innings. Marywood got itself on the board once Abbey Stalter hit a single that made Renee McDonald score. The Pacers were able to score two more runs in the second but the Saints were victorious, 5-3.

After a 30-minute break, game two was officially underway. Similar to the last matchup, Marymount was dominant throughout the six innings as the Saints led 6-0. Marywood started to build momentum after Emma McNally homered and added two runs. Then, Priscilla Grill came around to score off of an Emma Kim double. The Pacers had one last chance to rally back in the seventh. Marywood almost completed the comeback but Morgan Sakulich flew out to right field to end the game, 7-6.

Moving on to Tuesday, the Pacers would be home against King’s College Monarchs in another double header. The scoring started right away for Marywood as McNally double helped Kat Davis reach home. The Pacers remained in control for the remainder of the game and picked up the win, 6-0. McNally had herself a game as she went 2-3 with one RBI and a run scored.

Everyone was ready for game two and the Pacers were looking for back-to-back victories. Marywood started out the game with McDonald hitting a single that allowed Davis to make it home. The Monarchs fired back in the second and third inning by scoring three runs to take a 3-1 lead. Marywood started to rally in the third as the pacers scored four runs and retake the advantage by two. McNally would score again for the Pacers and help earn the 6-3 victory.

Men’s Lacrosse
This past Saturday, the lacrosse team hosted the Cabrini University Cavaliers in conference play. The Pacers started out hot as Nick Ericson scored the game’s first goal in less than a minute. However the Cavaliers responded by scoring ten straight goals. Ericson scored another one late in the second quarter. Jake Plokhoy scored two more goals for the Pacers but it was not enough. Marywood fell 19-4.

The Pacers hit the road on Wednesday to face the Gwynedd Mercy Griffins. Marywood struggled out the gates as the Pacers quickly trailed 3-0. With seconds left in the first quarter, John Scibello found the net to put his team on the board. After this, the Griffins went on a 6-0 run and extended the lead to 9-1. Marywood tried to come back but Gwynedd Mercy did not slow down. The Pacers lost, 11-5

Women’s Lacrosse
The Women team also played the Cabrini University Cavaliers on Saturday. Similar to the men’s match up, the Cavaliers were dominant right out the gates. The Cavaliers scored 16 goals and held the Pacers scoreless all in the first half. Neither side would score in the third quarter. In the fourth, Avery Meighan and Olivia Stollsteimer would find the net for Marywood. In the end, the Pacers were defeated, 17-3.

This past Wednesday, Marywood took on the Gwynedd Mercy Griffins on Pacer Turf Field. The first quarter was in command of the Pacers. Marywood built a 9-2 lead. Marywood remained in control in the second and went into halftime up 15-7. The Griffins held the Pacers scoreless for nearly 10 minutes in the third and scored four goals.. However, Gwynedd Mercy started to slow down and Marywood took advantage. The Griffins only scored one goal after this and the Pacers went on a 11-1 run. Marywood bounces back, 26-12. Meighan and Stollsteimer lead the way with 12 total goals.

Men Tennis
The Pacers went on the road to Arlington, Virginia to face the Marymount University Saints this past Saturday. The team fell 8-1 in its first Atlantic East Conference game. Alex Ni was the Pacers’ only point and he did it in No. 6 singles. Marywood drops to 1-6 on the year.

On Tuesday, Marywood had a match against the Neumann University Knights. The Pacers ended up losing 9-0. This is the fifth time this season the school lost 0-9. The next matchup is a home game against Immaculata University tomorrow.

Women’s Tennis
The Women’s team also had a game against the Marymount University Saints on Saturday. The Pacers lost the matchup 9-0 and are now 0-1 in conference play. Marywood currently sits at 3-4 on the season and have two more games before the Atlantic East Semi Final.

The Pacers faced the Neumann University Knights on Tuesday. The team ended up picking up the win 5-4. Faith Kendricks and McKenna Seavey won their doubles 8-6. Kylie Kilgore and Cat English won 8-2. Meilei Cianfrocco and Gabby Nunez won 8-6. For singles, Kilgore and Cianfrocco picked up victories.

Men’s Golf
On Monday, the Pacers returned to Glenmaura National Golf Club for the Gino Biondi Invitational. A total of three teams competed and Marywood placed second on the day. The Pacers’ Colin Virkitis tied for first with a score of 78 (+7). Paul Appolt, Ben Galko, and Zach Valeski all finished in the top ten in shooting for the day.

All statistics are from MarywoodPacers.com as of April 17.