Pacers Sports Report: Men’s Track and Field Five-peat

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Men’s Track and Field
The Pacers finished first in the Atlantic East Conference Championships, which took place Friday and Saturday. Marywood finished with a total of 282 points, over 100 more than the runner-up Marymount University Saints. Marywood was victorious in eight events, including Raiden Francis placing first in the 1500 m and the 800 m. Will Kalinich earned Performer of the meet, as he was responsible for 32 of Marywood’s points.

Women’s Track and Field
The Marywood Women’s Track and Field team finished as runner-up in the Atlantic East Conference Championships, totaling 130 points, a sizable margin behind the champion Marymount University Saints. The Pacers totaled two event wins, both by Milana Staub, who finished first in the 10,000 m and the 3,000 m steeple. Marywood had plenty of podium finishes, including in the discus throw, 800 m and 1500 m.

Softball
Marywood finished the regular season as the third seed, meaning the Pacers would have to travel for the playoffs, heading to Arlington, Va. for its pod for the postseason. In game one, Marywood had to face the Neumann University Knights. After silent first innings from both squads, Neumann opened the scoring in the second. The Pacers trailed for minimal time and doubled the Knights’ run production in the bottom of the frame. Marissa Gregory blanked Neumann in the top of the third, before getting plenty of run support in the bottom half, as six Pacers came around to score. Emma McNally launched a solo home run in the fourth, as the Pacers would finish the Knights off in five, 9-1.

The Pacers had to face the hosting Marymount Saints, who had swept the doubleheader against Marywood earlier this year. Both offenses were stifled in the opening two innings, before Marywood would get on the board, with McNally singling and Tori Para coming home on an error. Both offenses would remain in lulls until the seventh inning, when McNally singled home another run, extending the lead. The Saints would get on the board with a late long ball, but that would be all, as the Pacers would knock off the Saints, 3-1.

Entering day two, Marywood needed just one victory to advance to the finals and were pitted against the Saints once again. Through the first two innings, it was déjà vu, with both starters slicing and dicing through the line. The Saints would open the scoring in the third, before adding another run in the fourth. Priscilla Grill drove in a run in the bottom of the fourth, but that would be all for the Pacers’ offense, as the Saints notched on one more run and forced a winner-take-all game, 3-1.

In what could’ve been the final game of either of these teams’ seasons, Marymount wasted no time scoring, plating two in the first. Marywood’s bats were in a slumber, but the Pacers managed to narrow the deficit, as Kat Davis scored on a wild pitch in the fourth. In the top of the fifth, Marywood’s bats woke up from its hibernation, as the Pacers brought home 10 runs, including four on a Para grand slam. Gregory worked around a lead off walk to slam the door and help send the Pacers to the Atlantic East Conference Championship, 11-2.

Baseball
Marywood played its final home game, as the Pacers hosted Wilkes University. Wilkes opened the scoring, plating a run in the top of the first. From there, both pitching staffs were lights out. Wilkes was able to extend its lead in the top half of the seventh, before a sacrifice fly from Tristan Gatchalain matched it. Wilkes again extended its lead in the eighth, but Joel Ayers answered with an RBI groundout. Despite keeping the score the same in the top of the ninth, Marywood was unable to produce, falling 3-2.

With conference playoffs on the line, Marywood traveled to Marymount University to face the Saints. Marymount plated three in the first frame before the Pacers answered back, thanks to a sacrifice fly from Joey Galantini. Christian Michak popped a home run to cut the lead down in the top of the third, but the wheels would fall off in the fourth, as a solo shot and a grand slam would make the lead too insurmountable for the Pacers, as game one would go to the Saints, 12-3.

With Gwynedd Mercy University winning in its Friday matchup, Marywood needed help from Neumann University and to play its best baseball to try to grab the last spot in the AEC Playoffs. Despite allowing baserunners in each of the first three innings, Nick Notari would work around the traffic, keeping the game even, before Michak would rip an RBI single to bring home AJ Giannetti, giving the Pacers the lead. Notari worked around runners in the fourth but after allowing a lead off single in the fifth, he allowed a two-run home run, putting the Saints ahead. Marywood threatened in both the sixth and the seventh, but were unable to produce, dropping game two 2-1.

With Gwynedd Mercy winning its game, Marywood was eliminated from playoff contention, but still had the finale of this series. Marymount got on the board first, scoring twice in the opening inning. Ayers would match Marymount, launching a two-run shot in the third. The Pacers plated three in the fourth, before Joe Yannelli doubled home another. Marymount would cut the Pacers lead in the sixth, but Yannelli would strike again in the seventh, popping another double, this time scoring two. Michak, Ayers and Gatchalain would all add more runs, helping the Pacers finish the season with a victory, 12-4.

Marywood finished its season 22-16, with a 7-11 record in conference. Vinny D’Auria led the Pacers in batting average (.366), hits (45) doubles (12) and triples (3). Adam Ginsberg led the team in RBIs with 31, while Ayers and Michak led the team in home runs, with two each, with Michak leading in stolen bases, swiping 23 on 26 attempts. Michael Aronica finished the season with the best ERA (4.46) and strikeouts (38).

All stats from MarywoodPacers.com as of May 5, 2024