Artist James Biederman gives lecture at Marywood

Photo credit/ Justin Kucharski

Justin Kucharski, Contributor

The Marywood University Art Department continued its Distinguished Visiting Artist Lecture series with a presentation by New York painter/sculptor James Biederman at the Comerford Theater in the Center for Natural and Health Sciences on Oct. 4.

Biederman obtained a Master of Fine Arts from Yale University and also attended the Whitney Museum Independent Study Program. He has work located in a variety of collections including the Metropolitan Museum and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He also has some pieces of his work featured in the Maslow Collection at Marywood University.

During the lecture, Biederman spoke to the audience about the different works he has created as an artist, and how he always strives to make his work different and meaningful.

Photo credit/ Justin Kucharski

“I don’t want to put just another piece of sculpture in the world,” said Biederman. “I want to make something useful.”

Biederman also said that he was excited to be at Marywood.

“It’s very good to be able to express my work with people who have a legitimate interest in it. In a way, creating art can be very isolating for me, so it’s nice to be able to open up and tell everyone about what I’m working on,” he said.

Throughout the course of the lecture, Biederman showed off many of his different paintings and sculptures. A piece titled “Medusa” particularly resonated with a few students in attendance.

“I liked how the experience of the sculpture changes depending on how you view it,” said Junior Illustration Major Geori Vasquez.

Freshman Graphic Design Major Aislinn Farrell agreed, adding that the piece was “different” and “unique”.

At the end of the lecture, Biederman opened up the floor to answer any questions.

Photo credit/ Justin Kucharski

When asked about his motivations when creating a piece, Biederman spoke about having a goal in his head.

“I always have the art gallery in mind. I always need something to work towards,” he said.

Marywood Visual Arts Professor Steven Alexander helped to put the event together and said he was glad to see the turnout of the lecture.

“We couldn’t get them all, but I’m still very happy with the turnout of art students in attendance and with the event in general,” said Alexander.

Audience members were given the opportunity to meet Biederman at a reception held in the Insalaco Center for Studio Arts after the lecture.