West Point Band members return to hold recital and master class

Photo credit: Justin Kucharski

Photo credit: Justin Kucharski

Photo credit: Justin Kucharski

Justin Kucharski

West Point Band principal saxophonist Staff Sgt. Stacy Wilson along with her accompanist Sgt. 1st Class Yalin Chi held a recital open to the public in the Marion Chapel on April 7.

The recital featured technical pieces of music that showcased various different playing techniques.

According to music, theater and dance department Co-Chair Dr. Fred David Romines, the event has been in the works for a few years, but due to complications with scheduling and availability, it was pushed back until now. He said the performance was an amazing event for students to experience.

“It’s just been a day we’ve been looking forward to for a long time,” said Romines. “It is a great opportunity for our students to see models of that level of performance right here on our campus.”

Wilson was a part of the larger ensemble of West Point Band members who came to Marywood to perform in 2016.

She was very happy to receive a warm welcome back to Marywood’s campus after not visiting for a few years.

“The first time we were here, we were with the whole concert band and everyone was really warm and welcoming,” said Wilson. “We had such a great audience, so it was nice to be back here performing with a different group as a smaller duo in this beautiful chapel.”

Harlow Alexander, a junior music education major, said she was astonished by the performance because of the advanced techniques displayed by Wilson.

“I thought the performance was amazing because [Wilson] demonstrated a lot of extended techniques that a lot of us are starting to work on in our lessons,” she said. “It’s awesome to see a professional come in and demonstrate those for us on such complicated repertoire.”

After the recital concluded, band members held a master class open to the public.

During the class, music majors in the saxophone studio performed a piece of music they had prepared for Wilson. Once finished, Wilson spent time with each student and helped them with parts of their piece. She also demonstrated some of her own advanced techniques with students.

Alexander said she went into the master class hoping to gain a new perspective on the way she plays the saxophone.

“I’m hoping [Wilson] will help me out with a couple things on a piece that I’m working on… and give me some tips on playing from an outside perspective that’s not my teacher or some of my friends in my major,” said Alexander.

Twitter: @JKucharskiTWW

About the Writer
Justin Kucharski, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Justin is a sophomore Digital Media & Broadcast Production major, and serves as the Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Wood Word. At Marywood,...

• West Point Band members return to hold recital and master class

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer is looking to finish the season strong

Variance request vote for Marywood South tabled for 30 days

Featured Multimedia

Sports Talk S. 2 Episode 3: NFL season and MLB Playoffs update

Sports

ANALYSIS: Women’s soccer is confident moving into a new conference

Arts & Entertainment

Popcorn Picks Review: ‘Venom’

NEWS BRIEF: Steam system repair to occur during fall break

Community

SALD to host second annual CONQUER Student Leadership Conference

Opinion

OPINION: ‘A Million Little Things’ is the emotional rollercoaster we deserve

Sports

PACERS SPORTS REPORT: Field hockey continues hot start; volleyball closes out non-conference play on five match winning streak

Opinion

OPINION: ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ is the nation’s wake up call and we keep snoozing