Let the journey begin: Marywood Study Abroad offers multiple travel opportunities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marywood offers study abroad trips to various parts of the world for students.

Photo credit/ Michael Kelley

Photo credit/ Michael Kelley

Photo credit/ Michael Kelley

Ashlynn Gallagher, Contributor

The Marywood Study Abroad Office offers many opportunities for students to take their education overseas.

While studying abroad may seem scary to some, the office works exclusively with every student to find a program that accommodates their individual needs and comfort level.

Nancy Maloney, associate director for international and multicultural initiatives, has worked in the office for the past nine years and believes that studying abroad is an opportunity every student should consider now more than ever.

“There are huge advantages to going abroad now that students just 10 years ago didn’t have. So there really isn’t nearly as much to be fearful of that maybe some students may have hesitated about in the past. I look at it and say, ‘Now is as good a time as any to go on study abroad,’” Maloney said.

There are three types of programs Marywood offers with studying abroad. The “exchange and partnership” and “affiliated study abroad” programs allow students to take courses at foreign universities for entire semesters.

For those not looking to spend a whole semester abroad, Marywood offers faculty-led programs. These are short-term programs held over spring break, intermission or in the summer.

Marywood faculty can take just as much advantage of the study abroad office as students.

Dr. Erin Sadlack, an associate professor of English at Marywood, said she holds a strong appreciation for studying abroad and is even organizing a faculty-led trip to Italy this spring.

“Honestly, it’s life changing. It really is,” Sadlack said. “The chance to go abroad and especially with faculty members who know the area and who know what it is. As my friend who does study abroad would say, it’s like constant casual teaching.”

The trip will last a little over a week and students will visit Rome, Florence, Venice and Siena with stops along the Italian countryside. The deadline to register for this trip has passed, but future opportunities will be available to students.

Senior Pre-Physician Assistant Major Bridget Barnic studied abroad last spring break in Ireland and said it was an amazing experience.

“The class was great and the abroad trip was great. I got to meet a lot of new people and see a lot of different things,” said Barnic.

To study abroad at Marywood, a minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. Typically, the earliest one can study abroad is the second semester of sophomore year. However, some study abroad programs do require that students to be in their junior year.

For more information regarding study abroad, visit Marywood’s study abroad website.

• Let the journey begin: Marywood Study Abroad offers multiple travel opportunities

NEWS BRIEF: Student alleges on-campus sexual assault

NEWS BRIEF: Zauhar’s tenure as Dean to end in June

Featured Multimedia

The Weekly Work: Digital Media & Broadcast Production

Marywood announces plans to purchase Holy Family Residence

Arts & Entertainment

Media that Matters: Ashlynn Gallagher

Sports

ANALYSIS: Twitter nearly breaks after Giants trade Odell Beckham Jr., but should it have?

Opinion

OPINION: Is College Too Expensive?

Sports

Angels superstar Mike Trout signs the richest deal in pro sports history

Sports

ANALYSIS: MLB’s two biggest free agents have signed massive deals

Campus reacts to New Zealand massacre