OPINION: The death of snow days

Photo credit/ Jennifer Flynn

Assistant Opinion Editor Victoria DeFrancis shares her view on the loss of regular snow days.

Victoria DeFrancis, Assistant Opinion Editor

Virtual learning, or as some students call it, “Zoom University,” has completely changed the learning game. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to make drastic decisions that will provide safety while also doing our best to learn efficiently in such a new way.
Students from all over have shared this online learning experience and struggled with each other. Despite these circumstances, we do our best to encourage each other to keep going and work to our full potential.
However, during this time of hardship and uncertainty, it feels as though virtual learning is receiving priority over giving students fair breaks from work. Education is important, but not more important than mental health.
With the recent snowfall, schools across the country have gotten snow days here and there. Although they are not traditional snow days, they now come with virtual classes. They are not like good old days off like we are used to having.
Snow days give students a sense of normalcy, and to take that away is disappointing and unfair. I remember being excited to wake up in the morning, knowing that it had snowed overnight.
I can remember in high school how eager I was to hear the call from our school superintendent announcing that we had the day off. I can recall looking at the time and thinking about what class I would have if we would not have had a snow day. It feels like a different dimension, especially when there is bright, white snow blanketed on everything.
Honestly, I am not the biggest fan of snow. I think it is an inconvenience, and it gets ugly quickly. On the other hand, from a student’s perspective, snow is a lifesaver. It is nice to watch it fall from the inside, with a cozy blanket and a cup of hot chocolate while watching my comfort shows.
It is unfortunate that the tradition of snow days that once gave students feelings of serendipity may be lost. Future generations will be so used to sitting in front of their screens for hours, missing out on the world around them.
Students are not responsible for the weather and the state of our pandemic. So, it is not fair to punish us for it. When we can live in a COVID-free world, I believe that school should revert to traditional snow days since there is no longer a reason to learn virtually.