Marywood Library receives award from Insight into Diversity magazine

Photo credit/ Julie Potter
Marywood’s book displays have earned the library a special award.

In 2024 Marywood’s library will receive a prestigious award that celebrates the diversity and inclusion of the books offered in its seasonal displays.

Prominent diversity magazine Insight into Diversity, has released their list of recipients of the Library Excellence in Access and Diversity (L.E.A.D) for 2024, a list that will formally appear in their March 2024 issue. Marywood University is one of only 50 colleges in the country to receive this honor.

“[The award] celebrates libraries who focus on representation and inclusion in their book displays,” said Sarah Sporko, the circulation director at Marywood’s library.

The displays that contributed to Marywood’s win were an effort between Sporko and Kehsia Vilchert, former director of student equity, inclusion and programming. Although Vilchert no longer works at Marywood, Sporko said that the quality and content of the displays would not have been possible without Vilchert, and the two of them worked together on the displays last semester.

“For example, we had a holiday display just before break that focused on children’s books about a bunch of different winter holidays from around the world,” said Sporko.

The display that she is most proud of, however, was one with books based around the mistreatment and brutalities surrounding different tribes of Native Americans. Sporko witnessed firsthand many students borrowing the books on display to use for research in the projects they were assigned, or just to read and learn more by themselves.

“It all started with Kehsia’s ideas. I don’t think we would have gotten the award if it wasn’t for her,” said Amanda Avery, the director of the library.

Sporko is already excited about putting together whatever displays the semester will bring.

Sporko explained that there will be a form available for clubs, classes and individual students to submit display ideas in the Learning Commons.

“I’m really excited about the opportunities that that’s going to bring, and hopefully students are as excited as we are,” said Sporko.

Contact the Writer: [email protected]