The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Dr. Romines Performs His Last Show At Marywood

Photo courtesy of Marywood Marketing

Dr. Fred David Romines, who has taught and directed Marywood’s band for over 15 years, conducted his last show as of April 21.

Dr. Romines was the third American to conduct a full concert with the People’s Liberation Army Concert Band. Additionally, he conducted bands throughout the country and in several foreign nations.

At his last show, Dr Romines explained his tough situation while working at Marywood; his wife lives in Georgia. He would drive throughout the night to see his wife, leaving right after rehearsals on late Friday nights. Even though the love of his life wasn’t here with him, he stayed at Marywood. This raises the question, “Why did Dr. Romines stay here at Marywood?”

“When I came to Marywood, I experienced academic freedom. I can walk in class and teach them the things to be successful,” Dr. Romines explained.

“Marywood students are kind, very thoughtful, they want to please,” said Romines.

Reflecting on his time here, Dr. Romines is very appreciative of the community he raised and was a part of. The culture he created in the music department was one based on community and helping each other.

“Take students where they are and walk beside them in the process” Dr. Romines said about his teaching practices.

During the last performance, President Sister Mary Persico IHM, ED.D had given Dr. Romines the title “Director of Bands Emeritus and Professor of Music.” He is the first and only person awarded this at Marywood.

Even though Dr. Romines’ time at Marywood has come to an end, he wanted to remind students to stay motivated and to never give up.

”Never forget why you started playing music. If you can get excited about creating music, that’ll rub off on others,” Dr. Romines explained.