Get in my Belly: La Libertad Pupusaria Restaurant Review

By Professorsolo2015 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (CC BY 2.0 license)], via Wikimedia Commons

Vanessa Lynn Rodriguez, Contributor

How many of you are tired of mac and cheese, pizza and hot pockets? Although these meals are quite delicious, it’s time we focus on actual food. On a college student’s budget, the food selection isn’t as grand as we might want it to be, so why settle for typical college cuisine?

Step outside your comfort zone and experience the taste of Central America with only a few dollars in your pocket.

For most people, trying new food is a challenging thing. However, for the daring, I challenge you to make your way to La Libertad Pupusaria located on Pittston Avenue in Scranton. Not only does this restaurant cook up delicious food, but the employees of this establishment also go the extra mile by treating you like family.

La Libertad is one valuable “hole in the wall,” that was once an operating bar years ago. Although it’s a newer establishment, it does not lack in atmosphere.

As you enter the restaurant, there are small tables scattered around with bar-top seating. There’s a television mounted in the corner playing the Spanish channel and a loud speaker playing Latin American music like salsa, meringue and reggaeton. The ambiance is welcoming and you’re greeted with warm smiles from the servers. It makes you feel like you’re in the heart of Latin America.

La Libertad is a “pupuseria,” which implies the restaurant specializes in one specific thing, though other dishes are available. In Spanish, the word “pupusa” means a traditional dish from El Salvador. What is really interesting about this dish is that there is no direct English translation of the word “pupusa.”

Pupusa is primarily made with a corn flour and water mixture to make the crispy edges. Each pupusa is stuffed with fillings of choice like cheese, re-fried beans, pork, chicken or a combo of it all. For many people, a pupusa can be described as a flat mozzarella stick.

La libertad Pupusaria’s pupusas are absolutely authentic and amazingly delicious served with a side of cabbage relish and tomato sauce. Pupusas are purposely made to eat with your hands, so cast the fork and knife aside, pull apart a pupusa, and relish in its cheesy goodness.

Not only can you choose your fillings for your pupusas, the restuarant also offers a variety of Salvadorean traditional hot soups, combo dishes served with plantain, authentic corn flour tacos and of course, tamales.

La Libertad’s food prices don’t exceed over $10, which means a college student can afford a mouthwatering, life-changing experience.

La Libertad weighs in at a very hearty and happy 9.5 out of 10 for its great tastes of authenticity, friendly staff, careful and precise preparation of dishes, upbeat Latin atmosphere and inexpensiveness.

Resturant information:
La Libertad Pupuseria
531 Pittston Ave
Scranton, PA 18505
(570) 344-2274