Binge Breaks: Star Wars’ “Ahsoka” ties Dave Filoni’s universe together

Photo credit/ Sabrina Resuta

Back in 2020, Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau came together to create “The Mandalorian.” Now, in 2023, the end of “Ahsoka” marks the conclusion to the wide-ranging story that started with “Star Wars: Rebels.”

“Ahsoka” tells the story of Ahsoka Tano, a former Jedi Padawan to the infamous Anakin Skywalker, in a journey to prevent Imperial loyalists from finding Grand Admiral Thrawn to bring about the end to the New Republic.

The series leans heavily on the two animated series: “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” and “Star Wars: Rebels.” This is a no-brainer since not only does Ahsoka originate from “The Clone Wars,” but many primary characters come from “Star Wars: Rebels.” “Ahsoka” picks up nine years after the events of “Return of the Jedi,” and shortly after the events of the third season of “The Mandalorian.”

Ahsoka is accompanied by Sabine Wren, the Mandalorian rebel from “Rebels,” translated into live-action by Natasha Liu Bordizzo. In the time between the shows, Ahsoka took Sabine on as an apprentice, teaching her the ways of the Jedi. After the Siege of Mandalore, which is expanded upon in “The Mandalorian,” her family was killed. That resulted in Ahsoka abandoning Sabine, fearing that the apprentice would succumb to her anger, just like Ahsoka’s master did.

During the series, Ahsoka starts in a cynical, stern mindset, much like the Jedi who came before her and less like her optimistic past in “The Clone Wars” and “Rebels.” This is displayed by her treatment of Sabine as they reunite after years apart in the beginning of the show, training her to cut herself off from her emotions like the Jedi doctrine dictated. During the hunt to stop Thrawn’s return, Sabine realizes that he was also exiled to the same galaxy of Ezra Bridger, the main protagonist from “Rebels.” She is eager to travel to the galaxy that Thrawn and Ezra were both exiled to in order to find the latter. However, Ahsoka urges Sabine to destroy the map used by enemy loyalist Morgan Elsbeth, a fearsome foe with deep ties to the Night Sisters of Dathomir, who were featured prominently in “The Clone Wars.”

Ahsoka’s journey brings her a sense of enlightenment. During her fight to stop Thrawn’s allies from locating him, she is defeated. However, she is sent to the ethereal World Between Worlds, a plane between all of time, featured in “Rebels.” Waiting for her is her old master, Anakin Skywalker, played once again by Hayden Christensen from the prequel trilogy. She is given a series of flashbacks, giving us some iconic locations and setpieces from “The Clone Wars” in live-action, including the iconic Clone Trooper Captain Rex, brought to life by Temura Morrison.

Christiansen steps right back into the boots of Anakin, forming a bridge between his performance in the prequels and that of Matt Lanter as the character in “The Clone Wars.” Through this experience, Ahsoka comes to realize that while she had been somewhat neglectful of Sabine, Anakin– despite his faults– always had Ahsoka’s back, even when no one else did. They repair their broken relationship, and Ahsoka’s former chipper, lighthearted self returns.

Standing in Ahsoka and Sabine’s way are former Jedi general Baylan Skoll and his “padawan” Shin Hati. Baylan’s origins go back to the 1991 novel “Heir to the Empire,” part of the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy of novels. He is portrayed by the late Ray Stevenson, who recorded his scenes before passing away. Stevenson brought an aura of intelligence and intimidation to his character, a survivor of the Jedi Order who has realized the cycle of the Jedi and Sith, battling each other endlessly. This can be seen as a meta-commentary, with Star Wars being a constant battle between the two factions. Baylan’s search to break this cycle ties his path to that of Thrawn’s. He serves as a cunning threat to Ahsoka, his years of trained experience outshadowing her somewhat impromptu training during the Clone Wars.

Sabine, Thrawn, and Ezra aren’t the only characters to return from “Rebels.” Rounding out the cast is Hera Syndulla, the current general for the New Republic. Hera is played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who translates her character excellently. She captures Hera’s years of war and the desire to prevent another one, potentially worse than the last. However, she seems to stand alone, as the New Republic’s council all dismiss the threat of Thrawn’s return as a fairy tale.

The enemy is successful in locating and reuniting with the Grand Admiral, who is brought to life by Lars Mikkelsen, the same voice actor who played him in “Rebels.” However, Ahsoka and Sabine are also reunited with Ezra. Ezra is masterfully brought to live-action by Eman Esfandi. Esfandi manages to capture all of Ezra’s vocal patterns as well as his witty banter. It’s a perfect one-to-one translation, as are most if not all of the cast here. Ahsoka’s live-action actress, Rosario Dawson, is no different. Since her appearance in season two of “The Mandalorian,” Dawson portrayed Ahsoka with not just her recognizable mannerisms, but also brought an edge to the character that reflects her experience throughout the years.

The three Jedi fight to stop Thrawn from returning to the Star Wars galaxy, but are unsuccessful in the end. However, Ezra is able to sneak onboard and return home after almost 10 years in exile. But now, we look to the future, one where Grand Admiral Thrawn is back in play with three powerful Night Mothers and a potential army of undead witches to threaten the galaxy back into Imperial submission.

It’s been confirmed that a movie is being released in the future, directed by Dave Filoni, to wrap up the story that “Rebels,” “The Mandalorian,” “Book of Boba Fett” and “Ahsoka” have been building towards. It seems to be an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, with Luke Skywalker and other allies fighting the Grand Admiral. However, that is only speculation. What is factual is that “Ahsoka” serves to bring together the animated series as well as the live-action stories that Filoni, Favreau, and the other producers and directors have created for the last three years. I would say that this series does just that, as well as creating an exciting vision of what’s to come in the near future.

Final rating: 8/10