Marywood streets named after influential IHM Sisters

Photo credit/ Autumn Granza

Ashley Padula, Staff Writer

Every Marywood University campus street now has an official name. Since the end of the spring semester, these names have been prominently displayed on the newly installed street signs around campus.

Marywood University recently purchased new street signs for many streets scattered throughout campus to better assist emergency responders called to campus. The new signs will help assist Scranton and Dunmore police and fire departments get directly to the location of an emergency.

David Elliott, senior director of safety, security, and compliance met with the firemen and police from both municipalities on this issue and recommended that road signs be installed around campus.

Because Marywood’s campus is split between Dunmore and Scranton, both municipalities would be dispatched whether the incident was located on the Dunmore side of campus or the Scranton side of campus. Now, the appropriate municipality will respond to the call.

Likewise if there had been an incident to report at Regina Hall or Immaculata Hall for instance, the address for the police and firemen to follow would be 2300 Adams Ave., which is the address to Marywood’s Campus, but not to a certain building or area on campus. (Because of the new street signs, the buildings have a specific street name by which to be located.) For instance, Regina Hall is now 100 Morgan Road while Immaculata Hall is 104 Morgan Road.

Elliott mentioned the newly named streets allow “easier access for people visiting and better response times for emergency personnel.”

Sister Anne Munley, IHM and president of Marywood University, decided to name the formerly unnamed campus roads after the original IHM sisters, many of whom had a hand in shaping the university.

For example, Maxis Lane is named for Mother M. Theresa Maxis, IHM. She was a co-founder of the IHM Congregation. At the age of 19, she met Father Louis Florent Gillet. Gillet wanted to establish a congregation that was located in Monroe, Mich. Maxis had decided to travel with Gillet where together, they founded the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary on Nov. 10, 1845.

“Unconsciously, the students are learning something about the IHM sisterhood and the beginnings of Marywood,” said Sr. Rose Kelly, assistant professor of religious studies.

For more information on the members of The IHM Congregation and the street signs named after them go to www.thewoodword.org or stop by The Our Lady of Peace Center, located on campus, which has displays of each of the Sisters, their past, and how their significance relates to Marywood.

Stories behind the street signs

Gillet Lane – Father Louis Florent Gillet: Gillet was a co-founder of the IHM Congregation. He was also a Redemptorist priest and missionary.

Hurley Circle – Mother M. Josepha Hurley, IHM: St. Thomas College (now the University of Scranton) was going through a difficult time financially and Hurley turned down the “invitation” to join the two schools. During the period of time that she served, the inside of the Rotunda was finished.

Foster Lane – Mother Mary Crescentia Foster, IHM: Foster had been chosen by Bishop Hoban to serve the rest of Mother Mary Magdalene Jackson’s term. She watched as the “groundbreaking of the motherhouse” took place on July 19, 1900.

Conway Circle – Mother M. Cyril Conway, IHM: Conway decided to name the campus, Mount St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception. This campus would work as a high school, but eventually became a college. She had a purpose to educate religious women, even though at the time, it was not very common to do so.

O’Neill Circle – Mother M. Germaine O’Neill, IHM: O’Neill served as the first president of Marywood University. She came up with the idea of naming the college Marywood. She had also recruited the very first freshmen class.

Gillespie Circle – Sister M. Immaculata Gillespie, IHM: Gillespie was the dean of Marywood University from the years 1915 to 1943. She received her doctorate degree from Fordham University. She was the very first regional woman to attain a doctoral degree.

Jackson Court – Mother Mary Magdalene Jackson, IHM: Jackson purchased the acreage in the Green Ridge section of Scranton that eventually became the site of Marywood.

Morgan Road – Sister M. Sylvia Morgan: IHM Morgan served as Marywood’s first full-time president. She also taught each of the science courses that Marywood had when the University opened in the year of 1915.