The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Marywood appoints Lisa A. Lori J.D. as first lay president

Courtesy of Marywood Marketing Office Press Release Apr. 9th 2024

The former chair of Marywood University’s Board of Trustees will be the next president. The university announced Tuesday that Lisa Lori, J.D., has been appointed as the school’s 13th leader.

Lori will be the first president to break the line of succession of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary who prior to this candidacy have fulfilled the role of president since the university’s founding.

A Marywood alumna and Board of Trustees member since 2014, Lori has served as chair of the board since 2016. She has worked primarily as an attorney after graduating cum laude from Temple University School of Law. As an attorney she has represented national and international businesses, Fortune 500 companies, higher education and healthcare institutions and individuals.

Lori is also an IHM associate. According to the IHM’s website, associates “make a non-vowed commitment to share in the life and ministry of the IHM community.”

This appointment follows the announcement of the retirement of the university’s current president, Sr. Mary Persico IHM, ED.D, who will officially step down as president on June 30.

The decision comes after a four-month, nationwide search led by external search firm Hyatt-Fennel in collaboration with a search committee of Marywood community members.

Current Marywood Board Chair and Co-Chair of the Presidential Search Committee Sister Kathleen Lunsmann, IHM, praised Lori for her commitment to the Marywood mission in a statement released by Marywood this morning.

“Lisa will be leading Marywood at a critical time in its 109-year history. In addition to her many professional qualifications, she embraces the charism and core values of the IHM Sisters and demonstrates an abiding commitment to our students, faculty, and staff,” stated Lunsmann.

In said announcement, Lori expressed her goals for her tenure as president.

“My goal as president is to continue that vital mission, working together with our campus and community partners to ensure that Marywood University is a leading academic institution for future generations as well as an economic engine for the region.” said Lori.

Lori will begin her tenure on July 1.

Contact the writers: [email protected], [email protected]