NEWS BRIEF: Sister Mary Persico Announces Retirement in 2024

Marywood’s 12th President set to retire June of 2024

After eight years as President of Marywood University Sister Mary Persico IHM, ED.D., has announced her retirement, effective June 30, 2024.

According to a memo from Marywood’s Publications Director Sheryl Lynn Sochoka, Persico has led the university through many changes, including the expansion of several academic programs, the launching of the Center for Law, Justice and Policy and the introduction to the Office of Diversity Equity and Inclusion.

Also during this time the university purchased the retirement community Holy Family Skilled Nursing Facility, now known as Marywood Heights, and oversaw the relocation of NativityMiguel School of Scranton to Marywood’s campus.

Persico still leads the university’s Empower Capital Campaign, which has reached $25 million, only $5 million short of its goal. The memo from Sochoka said the campaign is “set to conclude upon her retirement.”

Persico also faced challenges including the COVID-19 pandemic, the impending enrollment cliff, and the voluntary separation offers last year.

No successor has been named, but according to the bylaws of the University, “the Board of Trustees shall give first consideration to duly qualified members of the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Scranton, Pennsylvania.”

Persico is Marywood’s 12th president. For 108 years Marywood has been led by the IHM sisters. Marywood’s Board of Trustees will launch a nationwide search for Persico’s successor.

The position is expected to be posted in early January 2024 and a President-Elect is expected by April 2024.