Armed suspect imprisoned, facing charges

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

The suspect’s vehicle, a black Toyota pickup, was searched in the upper pit parking lot behind Loughran Hall.

Anne Zukowski, Digital Content Manager

The suspect from yesterday’s incident was identified on Wednesday evening as Marywood student Alex Barowski, 28 of Archbald. Barowski is facing multiple charges.

Members of the Marywood community evacuated from the Center for Natural and Health Sciences on Wednesday afternoon after learning of a situation involving a weapon on campus.

Dunmore Police immediately arrested Barowski Wednesday afternoon with possession of a weapon on campus.

According to the Scranton Times-Tribune, Barowski has been charged with the following offenses: making terroristic threats, simple assault, possessing unlawful body armor and reckless endangerment.

Currently, Barowski is being held in the Lackawanna County Prison on $500,000 bail, according to Dunmore police.

Marywood President Sr. Mary Persico, IHM, Ed.D emailed students and faculty Thursday morning to reassure the importance of safety after yesterday’s incident.

“I want to assure you that your safety is most important to me and to all those on campus who are here to teach and guide you during your time at Marywood,” read Persico’s email.

Barowski’s hearing is scheduled for Oct. 13, according to Dunmore police.

Tomorrow, the administration will hold a meeting in the Performing Arts Center at 8:30 a.m. for members of the campus to address their concerns, according to another email from Persico.

Twitter: @annezukowskiTWW