PACER SPORTS REPORT: Field hockey loses a heartbreaker; women’s soccer continue winning-streak

Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics

John Ferraro, Sport Editor

Women’s Tennis

University of Scranton 9

Marywood 0

An undefeated Scranton team continued to roll in women’s tennis last Wednesday, improving to 4-0 with a shutout victory over the Pacers.

The Royals controlled every doubles match.

Juniors Nicole Sinclair and Emily Zarrilli were the only Pacers’ pair to win more than one game (2-8).

The Royals’ domination continued into singles action as only Zarrilli and junior Abygail Doud were able to challenge their respective opponents.

Doud battled Scranton’s Emilia Jakubek (3-6, 1-6) while Zarrilli fought, but lost a 4-6 first set with Sakira Fussner.

Women’s Soccer

Marywood 8

Clarks Summit University 0

The Pacers continued their impressive start in Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) play.

Clarks Summit tried to snap a six-game losing streak to start the season, but the Pacers had other plans.

Sophomore midfielder Renae Moken, pictured below, led the way with a hat trick and an assist on the afternoon.

Two of Moken’s three goals took place in the first 10 minutes of the game to put Marywood up 2-0. Moken then assisted senior defender Emily Kotcho on a goal to extend the lead.

The Pacer offense scored five more goals. But it was the team’s defense that controlled Clarks Summit the entire game. Marywood outshot the Defenders 33-2 and 13-1 on goal.

Field Hockey

Stockton University 4

Marywood 3

The Pacers gave visiting Stockton University all it could handle on Saturday afternoon.

Marywood struck first when sophomore forward Lindsey Quinn scored off sophomore defender Kenzie Drew’s assist.

Stockton’s Victoria Caiazzo tied the game at the 11:09 mark.

Marywood’s defense would hold for over 10 minutes until back-to-back goals put the Pacers down 3-1.

The Ospreys’ Britney Stein found the back of the cage off a scramble in front of the goal. Caiazzo scored her second goal of the game just four minutes later.

The Pacers rallied in the second period. Quinn got her team within one off a cross from sophomore midfielder Gwyneth Gleason.

Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics

Just two minutes later senior defender Tori Jo Kakusian, above, hit a penalty stroke to tie the game.

Both teams locked down defensively for the final 30 minutes of regulation and the entire first overtime period. Junior goalkeeper Kerri Mountz, below, played the entire 100 minutes, tallying 18 saves.

Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics

According to marywoodpacers.com, Mountz made a crucial save with just seconds remaining in the second overtime.

The game would go to a stroke-off where Stockton beat the Pacers 3-2. Stockon’s Alexa Massa scored the game-deciding goal.

Men’s Soccer

Marywood 1

Albright College 0

Men’s soccer evened its record against a struggling Albright team, but the Lions made the Pacers earn it.

Marywood only got off four shots on goal for the entire game, but the Pacer defense allowed Albright just one shot on goal.

Each team struggled to find the back of the net until freshman forward Zac Lloyd scored the game-winning goal in the 80th minute.

Junior forward Cole Belcher assisted Llyod on the play. Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics.

The Pacers begin CSAC play later today against defending conference champion Centenary University in Hackettstown, N.J.

Field Hockey

King’s College 4

Marywood 1

As Family Weekend came to a close, the Pacers looked to bounce back from their heartbreaking loss to Stockton.

The Monarchs had other plans. Senior Brianna DiMaggio scored back-to-back goals just nine seconds apart to give King’s an early 2-0 advantage.

The Pacers cut into that lead when sophomore forward Jenna Dickey hit the back of the cage in the 19th minute.

Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics

King’s would respond with a goal from Kelsey Gabriele seven minutes later. DiMaggio added one more insurance goal in the second half.

Marywood begins conference play by hosting Cabrini University this Saturday at 6 p.m. Cabrini beat Marywood in last year’s CSAC Semifinal game.

Men’s Tennis

University of Scranton 9

Marywood 0

The Royals opened their 2017-2018 campaign with a shutout victory over the Pacers on Sunday.

Marywood managed to win just two points on the entire day. Freshman Cole Strange and sophomore Brendan O’Rourke fell at two doubles 1-8.

Freshman Rick Sun lost 6-0, 6-1 at six singles. Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics.

The Pacers look to bounce back when the team travels to Bethlehem for a matchup against Moravian College.

Volleyball

Moravian College 3

Marywood 0

The Pacers fought hard against visiting Moravian but fell in three-straight sets 19-25, 15-25, 24-26.

Marywood came out strong going up 9-4 in the first set. The Greyhounds rallied taking the lead late at 18-14.

The Pacers quickly went on a four-point run thanks in part to back-to-back aces by sophomore middle blocker-outside hitter Peri Sheerin. Moravian recovered by taking seven of the last eight points.

Sophomore middle blocker-outside hitter Gabriella Santos led the team with eight kills. Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics.

The Greyhounds then posted a .294 attack percentage in the second set to win by 10 points.

Down two sets to none and Moravian on match point at a 24-21 advantage, Marywood fought back to tie the game at 24 behind sophomore defensive specialist Sam Compton’s serves.

Moravian quickly shut the rally down and took the set and the match.

Marywood travels to Cedar Crest to begin conference play later tonight.

Twitter: @JohnFerraroTWW