The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Opinion:Writing and digital skills are essential for students

Photo credit/ Wood Word
Digital skills and writing skills are equally important to teach children.

With the evolution of technology it seems as though writing skills are becoming more obsolete. Writing skills are still necessary in order to effectively communicate. However because of technology’s evolution, skills in technology seem to be more of a priority. That being said, both writing and technology skills are essential for our society to function.

Writing is essential to learn because it will always be a needed skill. According to a website titled Reading Rockets, “Why is writing important for a student’s education? Why learn to write at such a young age?,” states that writing about a text forces students to think about what they read and improves comprehension. It’s important for students to have good reading comprehension skills so that they can understand the world around them. Some examples included menus, road signs and signs on buildings. Reading is extremely important for navigating the world and personal enjoyment.

The benefits of writing are worth an emphasis on this skill. According to an article from Facile Things Blog, “10 Benefits that Writing Gives You,” writing both helps you learn better and makes you more productive. This webpage goes on to explain writing can prepare you to take on various tasks, and writing information in your own words will help improve memory. A sense of productivity and having a good memory are important skills because they will help people function in any career field.

Digital literacy skills are vital but often overlooked. Learning.com’s article ”Why Digital Literacy Skills are Important for Students” notes these six reasons for developing digital literacy skills: supporting educational progress, increasing online safety, understanding digital responsibility, improving social opportunities, improving digital equity and supporting lifelong skills. These are all essential skills because classes can be shifted to virtual instruction in cases of inclement weather. Or in the case of browsing the internet for enjoyment, kids don’t know what scams look like and should learn how to spot one so they can be safe from hackers.

It’s never too early to teach kids digital literacy skills, because kids at extremely young ages are accessing the internet. UNC Pembroke’s webpage “The Importance of Digital Literacy in Elementary Education” lists the four areas children should be digitally literate in when using the internet: basic computer skills; reliable information; authorship and plagiarism; and digital citizenship. These skills are all essential because plagiarism and poor digital citizenship have life consequences. Plagiarism, whether intentional or not, can get someone expelled from college. Poor digital citizenship could potentially lead to cyberbullying and other issues.

Due to the skills that writing helps nurture, society should not abandon those skills for digital ones. However, the internet is a large part of our lives and won’t be going away anytime soon. That being said, it is important for children to learn the skills necessary for navigating the internet. There needs to be a balance in schools for teaching writing and digital skills.

Contact the writer:[email protected]