Marguerite Fuller named interim art gallery director

Dylan Wright, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Marywood chose Gallery Preparator Marguerite Fuller to fill the position of interim art gallery director. She will oversee the Suraci Gallery, Mahady Gallery and the Maslow Study Gallery.

Fuller is replacing previous director Sandra Povse in a part-time capacity until the university hires a full-time art gallery director.

“There are plans to find a full-time person. I don’t know that that will happen for next year, so it’s to be determined if I will be here next year,” said Fuller.

Fuller received her Master of Fine Arts degree in photography from Marywood University after obtaining a degree in ceramics at the University of Delaware. She said she was drawn to Marywood by the intimacy of the classes.

“I thought that Marywood seemed like a really good fit for having smaller classes [and] getting to know teachers better. I was less of a number at Marywood,” Fuller said.

Fuller worked under Povse as a graduate assistant from 2007 to 2010 before transitioning into the role of preparator, which she held from 2010 to 2016. She said transitioning from preparator to director is challenging, but fun.

“I knew a lot about the installation process, but didn’t know all the ins and outs of the behind the scenes,” she said.

As art director, Fuller has already implemented new exhibits, including Marywood’s first fall exhibition for art therapy seniors graduating in December.

“There was a lot of energy and excitement with doing something new and seeing it all come together,” she said.

Fuller said she believes working with the art students as director and helping graduate students hang pieces is a rewarding process. This year, she will teach senior students how to hang their work.

“I think seniors will be better equipped for their futures knowing how to hang the work in a professional gallery,” Fuller said.

She said one of her goals is maintaining the professional quality of the gallery under Povse’s direction.

“Everything we do we try to uphold it to a standard that it could be a gallery in New York City. My goal would be to continue that, just to make the most of the time I am here and to maintain that level of professionalism,” Fuller said.

Fuller said she hopes to open the spring semester with a faculty show, which was cancelled this semester because of the water damage sustained in the Suraci Gallery earlier this fall. She said faculty shows allow the students a look at their professors’ insight in the field.

“Students kind of see that they’re real artists working through problems much like themselves,” she said.

Another exhibition planned for the spring semester is a video installation exhibit in the Maslow Gallery.

“[Maslow Gallery Curator] Ryan Ward is working in conjunction with me to do a film show opening Jan. 26 with an artist out of London. He is pulling together five other video installation artists. We’re really looking forward to that,” Fuller said.