Several offices to move to “The Hub” on the first floor of the Learning Commons

Photo credit/ Julie Potter
The Hub, located on the first floor of the Learning Commons, will be an easily accessible center for student resources.

In an effort to improve accessibility and increase visibility, several student support offices will be moving to the first floor of the Learning Commons next month.

Newly named, “The Hub” will consist of the Office of Retention and Advising, the Office of Military and Veteran Services and the Career Services Office.

Vice President for the Student Experience Dr. Jeff Kegolis explained that the decision to relocate these offices was inspired by feedback from students which indicated that their current location on the third floor of the Learning Commons made them hard to find.

The Office of Military and Veteran Services moved into the Learning Commons in the fall of 2023. Kegolis said there were some concerns with the previous location of the Office of Military and Veteran Services being off the beaten path. The intention is that by locating student services offices closer together, students will be able to receive the resources they need in a more centralized and comprehensive location.

“Ultimately when we looked at the feedback that was received, the goal was to try and get these areas together because of how they complement one another,” said Kegolis.

Director of Retention and Advising Michelle Ketten emphasized the accessibility of these offices.

“Our hope is that by increasing our visibility more students will feel comfortable stopping in to ask for help,” said Ketten.

Ketten also mentioned that The Hub is conveniently located across from the Study Grounds, allowing students to grab a quick coffee before stopping by to chat and learn more about resources available on campus.

The Hub will also feature a small conference area for the various offices to host small sessions or workshops.

A side entrance of the Learning Commons, currently an emergency-only exit will be converted into a functioning point of entry into The Hub.

In addition to the move of these offices, Kegolis and Dean of Students Ross Novak will move into the former home of the Retention and Advising Office, Learning Commons suite 310.

Kegolis explained that this move will benefit current students and also help prospective students in making their college decision by exposing them to student resources from day one.

“The goal is to help people, from the moment they step on campus understand that there is an area that is central to campus, that is easily accessible, where we have staff that are available to support students with questions they may have as part of their overall experience,” said Kegolis.

In the next coming weeks, signage will be added identifying the new space and decor will also be added to brighten up the space, making it welcoming and inviting.

The Hub will host an open house once it opens after spring break.