Changes are coming to graduate student housing in fall 2024

Photo credit/ Julie Potter

Several changes are coming to the structure of Marywood University’s housing. By the Fall 2024 semester, Perpetual and Bethany halls will become the two primary housing options for graduate students living on campus.

Both Perpetual and Bethany halls can hold six students each with single bedrooms and a shared kitchen and living room area. Perpetual Hall will be used for female residents, while Bethany Hall will be used for male residents.

Currently there are 16 graduate students living on campus. With limited space available in both Perpetual and Bethany halls, Immaculata Hall will also be available for graduate level housing.

Erica Armstrong, the director of housing and residence life, explained that this change was made to maximize the use of spaces on campus.

“The decision to relocate graduate housing to Bethany, Perpetual and Immaculata was made in order to continue to provide graduate students the privacy of a single room while also maximizing the spaces we have within our residential areas on campus.” said Armstrong.

Art therapy graduate student Courtney Gomber currently lives in a 10-person apartment in the Woodlands II Housing. Gomber has mixed feelings about the move.

“It’s definitely bittersweet due to the fact I finally feel all settled in the Woodlands but I’m happy to be closer to campus and the art building so I really can’t complain. I will miss having my own bathroom though,” Gomber said.

The Woodlands II apartments are a division of housing that includes apartments designed to house up to 10 people per complex. Prior to this change, these apartments were set aside for graduate level housing. Armstrong explained that in previous years, five of these apartments were used to hold graduate students.

“These buildings are outfitted to house a total of 50 students, and reverting these apartments back to their original design capacity will allow an additional 25 undergraduate students to live on campus.” Armstrong explained.

Undergraduate students have also been able to apply for these 10-person apartments in previous semesters. For undergraduate students, the 10-person apartments were offered to 10 students, whereas for graduate students, five students were offered single rooms. However, with five of these apartments reserved for graduate housing, the number of undergraduate students able to apply for these apartments was limited.

The decision to shift graduate student housing to both Perpetual and Bethany halls will open up rooms in the Woodlands II apartments for more undergraduate students.

Click here to learn more about Marywood Housing options.

Contact the writers: [email protected] , [email protected]