Marywood’s dining provider applies for liquor license

Photo credit/ Maddie Adams

“Pacer Pub” may soon open on campus, according to an application for a liquor license. The university has not released information on plans for the pub, but a bright orange sign located at Nazareth Dining Hall caught the attention of many students last week.

The sign indicates that Marywood’s dining provider, Gourmet Dining LLC, has applied for a license to sell alcohol on campus.

In Pennsylvania, The Liquor Code imposes a limit on the number of liquor licenses allowed per county. Only one license may be issued per every 3,000 inhabitants in a given county. These quotas are updated every 10 years following the census.

Establishments that are looking to acquire a license but inhabit a county that has already met its quota must acquire a license via a transfer from another establishment.

Gourmet’s application indicates that a transfer application has been initiated that would transfer a Restaurant liquor license from Mariano’s Cucina LLC to “Pacer Pub,” listed at 1300 University Ave, Nazareth Student Center 1st Floor, Scranton Pa. 18509.

Michal Trexler is the broker for the transfer of the liquor license from Mariano’s to Gourmet Dining. Trexler explained that because the transfer came from Mariano’s Cucina in Jessup, Gourmet’s attorney had to apply for an intermunicipal transfer, a process that requires approval from the municipality, in this case, the Scranton City Council.

Scranton City Council has already approved the application for transfer.

According to the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, the status of the application is still pending.

Trexler explained that the entire transfer process can take up to eight to nine months to complete.

A restaurant liquor license requires the establishment to have an interior dimension of 400 square feet and seating for at least 30 people. An establishment with a restaurant liquor license may operate Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. until 2 a.m. but establishments can acquire a special Sunday Sales Permit.

It is unclear where “Pacer Pub” will actually be located, however the posting on the door at Nazareth Hall indicates that the application is for the first floor of Nazareth Dining Hall. It also indicates that the application includes the exterior patio at Nazareth Dining Hall.

Director of Operations at Marywood and Executive Chef Robert Misko was unable to provide information about the location of the “Pacer Pub” or about when the pub is expected to open.

On Monday, March 18, Marywood dining staff will meet with Gourmet Dining to discuss plans for the pub.

It’s a common misconception that Marywood is a dry campus, and although possession of and/or consumption of alcohol is not permitted on campus and especially residence halls, the Alcohol and Controlled Substances Policy allows for alcohol at University approved and sponsored events at which alcohol is provided and served by Marywood’s dining provider.

The policy also allows for students that are 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol at such events.

This is a developing story that The Wood Word will continue to follow.