Office of Military and Veterans Services collects thank you notes for veterans

The letters to the veterans is part of the Office of Military and Veterans Services celebration for Veterans Day on Nov. 10.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Alex Knittel, Contributor

Members of the Marywood community are showing gratitude for veterans.

The Office of Military and Veterans Services at Marywood is collecting “thank you” emails from members of the Marywood community to give to veterans this year.

The initiative was announced on Oct. 9 within the This Week at Marywood e-newsletter.

“We have received about 20 or so [messages] so far ranging from small blurbs to full-length letters,” said Michael Magistro, a graduate assistant for the Office of Military and Veterans Services.

The approach the office is taking to physically bring the letters to veterans is new and meant to be a more personable approach.

“We had previously done the display boards up in the Rotunda but that was very transient and wasn’t getting in front of any of the vets,” said Director of Military and Veterans Services Christine Black.

The members of the department plan to print the thank you emails on cards and distribute them to veterans after the annual Veterans Day program on Nov. 11.

Black explained that after the Veterans Day program, the cards will go to the Gino Merli Center to be distributed to veterans.

“We wanted to make sure that those folks specifically who don’t have family around anymore got something,” said Black.

Magistro said the annual Veterans Day Program will begin with an introductory prayer, include a moment of silent at 11:11 a.m. and feature guest speakers.

Magistro said he knows the significance of showing appreciation to those who have served.

“I think it’s very important to say thank you to veterans because without sacrifices they have made in years past, we would not have the freedoms we do today to live our lives as we choose,” Magistro said.

Twitter: @AKnittelTWW

• Office of Military and Veterans Services collects thank you notes for veterans

Marywood mourns loss of Religious Studies Adjunct Professor Rev. Virginia Miner

Sports

Women’s lacrosse eyes a CSAC title

Sports

COMMENTARY: No penalty is too stiff for Michigan State

Community

Career Services ‘link up’ with students, alumni in campus workshop

English professor writes book on coal mining’s impact at Marywood

Community

Honors Program lounge opens in LAC

Arts & Entertainment

Popcorn Picks Review: “I, Tonya” skates to success

Featured Multimedia

Media that Matters: Briana Ryan

Men's Lacrosse

Expectations are high for men’s lacrosse

New Faces on Campus: Meet Director of IT Thomas Steffes