The news site of Marywood University

Office of Military and Veterans Services collects thank you notes for veterans

The letters to the veterans is part of the Office of Military and Veterans Services celebration for Veterans Day on Nov. 10.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Alex Knittel, Contributor

Members of the Marywood community are showing gratitude for veterans.

The Office of Military and Veterans Services at Marywood is collecting “thank you” emails from members of the Marywood community to give to veterans this year.

The initiative was announced on Oct. 9 within the This Week at Marywood e-newsletter.

“We have received about 20 or so [messages] so far ranging from small blurbs to full-length letters,” said Michael Magistro, a graduate assistant for the Office of Military and Veterans Services.

The approach the office is taking to physically bring the letters to veterans is new and meant to be a more personable approach.

“We had previously done the display boards up in the Rotunda but that was very transient and wasn’t getting in front of any of the vets,” said Director of Military and Veterans Services Christine Black.

The members of the department plan to print the thank you emails on cards and distribute them to veterans after the annual Veterans Day program on Nov. 11.

Black explained that after the Veterans Day program, the cards will go to the Gino Merli Center to be distributed to veterans.

“We wanted to make sure that those folks specifically who don’t have family around anymore got something,” said Black.

Magistro said the annual Veterans Day Program will begin with an introductory prayer, include a moment of silent at 11:11 a.m. and feature guest speakers.

Magistro said he knows the significance of showing appreciation to those who have served.

“I think it’s very important to say thank you to veterans because without sacrifices they have made in years past, we would not have the freedoms we do today to live our lives as we choose,” Magistro said.

Twitter: @AKnittelTWW

• Office of Military and Veterans Services collects thank you notes for veterans

Community

Inspiring program ‘soars’ to 10-year anniversary

DACA repeal sparks action from Marywood faculty and staff

Sports

PACERS SPORTS REPORT: Swimming splits with Cabrini; men’s basketball opens with victory

Arts & Entertainment

Marywood student holds hand lettering exhibition

Marywood honors veterans at annual ceremony

Opinion

OPINION: Who cares about the Starbucks cups?

Opinion

OPINION: Harvey Weinstein deserves more than a slap on the wrist

Arts & Entertainment

New History of Hip Hop course to be offered in spring 2018

Arts & Entertainment

“On Screen” S. 3 Ep. 10: “One Podcast to Rule Them All”

Featured Multimedia

From the Tech Desk: Ep. 1 iPhone X, Super Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing