Student Government Association holds special election

Photo credit: Jeremy Stanton

Briana Ryan, News Editor

Representatives and general members with voting rights in Marywood’s Student Government Association (SGA) casted their votes during a special election on Nov. 19 to fill three vacant positions.

Voting was done through a polling application to ensure the anonymity of the votes. The positions being voted on included Resident Representative, College of Professional Studies Representative and Accessibility Representative.

The Resident Representative position has been available since Nov. 5 when Natalie Shedler resigned from the position. The race for the position came down between two students. However, it was Freshmen Pre-Law/History Major Austen Miller who won the election.

Miller said he chose to run for the position in order to help make a bigger impact on the campus community.

“I’m big on service and helping the community in any way I can,” said Miller.

Sophomore Architecture Major Jennifer Brown ran unopposed for the College of Professional Studies Representative position. The position was previously held by Karsyn Moore who will resign at the end of the fall 2019 semester to study abroad in the spring 2020 semester.

Brown said she looks forward to being a voice for the College of Professional Studies.

“I’m pretty involved in the College of Professional Studies so I’m looking forward to being able to have more insight into the college and more of a say of possible improvements,” said Brown.

The Accessibility Representative position race boasted three candidates. Sophomore Pre-Physician Assistant Major Lacy Rinaldi won the race and will be the first person to serve in the role.

Rinaldi said she plans on bringing her past experience in the healthcare field to this position.

“I work as a personal care assistant at Life Geisinger and a lot of the participants there are wheelchair bound,” said Rinaldi. “As an aid I get to see a lot of what goes into the transportation of wheelchair bound patients.”

The elected students will hold the representative positions for the remainder of the fall semester and the entirety of the spring semester.

In other business:

• Chief Funding
    Officer Beth Ulicny announced that the purchase of the former Holy Family
    Residence is almost complete.
  • Student Life
    Representative Corrine Enderline is working with the Counseling/Student Development Center to add decorations to the counseling rooms to make them more
    welcoming.
  • Campus Safety
    and Parking Representative Megan Belzner said she is working with Chief of Campus
    Safety Michael Pasqualicchio to give Marywood’s parking lots official names.

Twitter: @BrianaRyanTWW