Coronavirus concerns cause admissions to move online

Photo credit: Jeremy Stanton

Marli Hoskins, Assistant News Editor

The mandated closure of Marywood’s buildings and facilities is not only affecting current students, but potential incoming freshmen and transfer students are also feeling the impact of COVID-19 as well.

According to Director of Undergraduate Admissions Rachel Hartz, the campus closure has already cancelled Admitted Students Day, College for a Day and all normal weekday campus visits for incoming freshmen and transfer students.

“We understand that on campus visits are a big part of the process for new students and its going to have a big impact on potential students. Changes like these can either make a students push off a decision or change the whole way they decide,” said Hartz.

Hartz said that despite COVID-19 causing cancellations and closures, much of the admissions process is going to remain the same for new students and the admissions staff are trying to keep everything “as is” by continuing to process applications and deposits and send orientation information.

According to Hartz, the entirety of the admissions staff is continuing outreach via phone call, email and text as well as working with marketing for updates to the website.

Director of Graduate Admissions Jason Yander said the admissions process for graduate students will also remain unchanged by COVID-19.

“We have a fantastic admissions team in place. They are flexible, hardworking and are doing what is necessary to bring in a new and robust cohort of students,” said Yander.

Hartz explained that changes are being made so that students can visit Marywood and still remain safe from the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are now offering remote appointments for admissions counseling and we are even setting up this feature with financial aid and faculty as well,” said Hartz. “We are also offering a virtual tour of campus that is going to be a great tool so that potential students can refresh themselves on what Marywood University looks like.”

Despite remote options for students to visit campus, high school seniors in particular are encountering issues with the admissions process. The main problem these students are encountering is the postponement of SAT and ACT testing.

Many colleges and universities including Lock Haven University and Mansfield University are waiving the SAT/ACT requirement and opting for a written or online interview for consideration instead.

Rather than waive this normally important consideration, Hartz said Maywood’s rolling admissions can account for these postponements.

“I’m seeing a lot of transfer student applications come in but because of SAT’s there has been a slowdown,” said Hartz. “We are lucky here at Marywood because we have rolling admissions so we have all summer for acceptance.”

Hartz explained that despite all efforts to make things remote, the effects of COVID-19 effects can cause stress for potential students.

“We are handling individual situations the best that we can,” said Hartz. “We are really hoping that with these changes, there is going to be minimal impact on a potential student’s decision process and that we can be as accommodating as possible.”

Twitter: @mhoskinstww