Pandemic impacts campus life

Photo credit/ Jeremy Stanton

According to Director of Housing and Residence Life Tyler Ward there are approximately 500 students living on campus this semester.

Nick Ferraro, Staff Writer

After Marywood moved fully online on March 20 some people wondered if the university would reopen campus in the fall. When Marywood announced that they would reopen campus there were questions about how COVID-19 would impact campus life.

Marywood provided their answer in early August with the “Ready. Set. Forward!” plan. A 22-page document listing Marywood’s plan to safely move students back into campus. The plan laid out rules for students regarding the way rooms would be split for the students’ safety and new cleaning procedures.

According to Director of Housing and Residence Life Tyler Ward there are approximately 500 students living on campus this semester. Ward said the rules were created with the safety of students at the forefront.

“The safety of the students is paramount,” said Ward.

Ward said he believes the biggest issue for students this semester is the lack of socialization due to the COVID-19 restrictions.

First-year Pre-Physician Assistant Major Theresa O’Brien said she believes there has been a lack of socialization this semester.

“If you wanted to hangout with someone and you can’t go into your room, the fact that all the community rooms are all closed, means there really is nowhere to go except the lobby,” said O’Brien. “But everyone that wants to hangout goes to the lobby and it defeats the purpose of social distancing.”

In the “Ready. Set. Forward!” plan, students are only allowed in the lobby areas of other housing areas with limits on any actual safe interaction.

Sophomore Pre-Physician Assistant Major Eddie McGreevy said he feels that living on-campus this semester is different from past semesters.

“Last year was a bit more social, now it’s more isolated,” said McGreevy. “Last year we were able to go to anyone else’s dorms to say hi, hangout, or do homework with. But now, it’s more of an on-your-own thing which makes the work harder.”

With this challenge, Ward said it’s important to find creative ways to encourage safe engagement among students.

“Housing and Residence Life and Student Engagement are both offering virtual and in-person programing for students to attend,” said Ward. “My biggest thing would be to encourage students to attend these programs to meet some people.”