What A Weird World! Mo’ Money, Moore Problems

Photo credit/ Carolyn Warcup

Alex Weidner, Managing Editor

Republican Roy Moore is running in a special election for one of Alabama’s Senate seats, and WOW does he have some skeletons in his closet.

Five women have accused Moore of sexual misconduct. Leigh Corfman, the first to step forward, was 14 at the time of the alleged incident. Though he denies remembering it, Moore doesn’t seem to want to “rule out” that he might have dated underage girls while he himself was over 30.

So he’s really saying that it probably happened, but he can’t be bothered to care now? He was a grown man when he allegedly forced himself on a few underage girls, but to him the past is the past. Grown men hanging around and dating high school girls is just plain creepy.

Sexual assault allegations aren’t all that abnormal in 2017. This wouldn’t be “What A Weird World!” if there wasn’t something even stranger about this story. This is where Jim Ziegler comes in.

Ziegler is the Alabama state auditor, or chief financial advisor. Also a Republican, he defended Moore. What’s weird was just how he defended him.

Going with a Biblical analogy, Ziegler compared Moore’s taste for younger women to Joseph and Mary.

Ziegler defended Moore’s marriage at 38 years old to his then 24-year-old wife by comparing it to the age difference between the parents of Jesus and those of John the Baptist. A significant age difference between two consenting adults isn’t really a problem, but Ziegler also used the fact that Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult to defend Moore from the accusations. He said that Moore’s choice in younger women isn’t “immoral or illegal.”

“Maybe just a little bit unusual,” said Ziegler, according to The Washington Examiner.

Is it really “just a little bit unusual” for an adult man to have relationships with teenage girls? Considering one of Moore’s accusers was 14 at the time of the alleged incident, no. Actually, it is also immoral and illegal.

I’m not sure how Moore’s going to win the election with all these allegations flying at him. Thankfully he’s trailing in polls, according to Politico, and even some Republicans in Washington don’t want him to win.

In fact, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is arguing that Moore isn’t fit to serve on the Senate, and has discussed the possibility of voting to expel him were he to win. This hasn’t been done successfully since the Civil War. It’s possible this whole situation will be very historical for both the Republican Party and the Senate.

Twitter: @WeidnerTWW