The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Opinion: Dogs used in Dog fights shouldn’t receive a bad reputation

Pitbulls+wearing+sunglasses.+
Photo credit/ Dllu
Pitbulls wearing sunglasses.

Some of the most popular breeds of dogs used in dogfights include the American Pitbull Terrier, Doberman, Rottweiler, and German Shepard, according to an article by Dogtips 15 Most Popular Dog Fighting Breeds.

Some of these dog breeds had gained a bad reputation due to dog fights, but it isn’t the dogs’ fault they were put in these fights against their will. It’s the actions of their owners that forced them into fighting that should be blamed.

American pitbulls are viewed as “mean and tough,” but in reality Pitbulls love their owners, would do anything for them and are known for being loyal. Dobermans, Rottweilers and German Shepherds are also great family dogs, according to Don’t Blame The Dog: 7 Breeds That Get a Bad Rap.

American Stafford terriers and Staffordshire Bull terriers, also known as Pitbulls, are extremely affectionate with their family, good with kids and good around other dogs. Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers and German Shepherds share these traits with pitbulls, stated by The American Kennel Club.

A 10 year-old Pitbull named Baby rescued her family and their other pet from a house fire. While Baby’s family was asleep, she barked and jumped to wake them up so they could escape the fire. If that’s not enough loyalty, Baby went on to save the family’s five other dogs by dragging them out from under the bed, written in 10 True Tales of Pitbull Heroism cited from Mental Floss, a source that delivers various news stories.

A 1-year-old Rottweiler, named Princess, saved her neighbors from a house fire. Princess woke up her family, and as a result her family was able to go help their neighbors, this article was published by KWTX called ‘Thanks, Princess, a Rottweiler in Temple hailed a hero after alerting neighbors when house caught fire,

Seventy five percent of combat dogs were Dobherman Pinschers and 25% were German Shepherds, according to the College of Veterinary Medicine’s article, War Dog Background. However German Shepherds are the most popular breed of police dogs, according to Breeds of Police Working Dogs.

Most dogs that are seen as dangerous are heroic and fiercely loyal to their owners. It truly comes down to how the dogs are trained and raised.

Contact The Writer: [email protected]