Pacers Sport Report: A Week of Game Winners, Heartbreaks and Exciting Action

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Women’s Lacrosse
Marywood went on the road to Russell Sage College this past Sunday. Both schools were winless to start the year. Russell Sage scored two quick goals but this lead was short lived. The Pacers answered back with five goals of their own to close out the first period. Marywood’s offense did not slow down and kept scoring. The Pacers built an 11-goal advantage and were on a 8-0 run. After the final whistle, Marywood was victorious in the 23-12 win. Kaitlyn Smith and Avery Meighan joined the 100-point club after two dominant performances.

This past Tuesday the team squared off against the Wilkes University Colonels. This was another one-sided affair as the Pacers were up 14-0 at the half. Marywood did not slow down after the break and kept finding the net. The Colonels continued to struggle and the Pacers ultimately won 20-1. Natalie Yilanjian and Smith led the way by scoring five goals each.

Men’s Lacrosse
On Saturday, the Pacers traveled to Newburgh, New York to take on the Mount Saint Mary College Knights. The Pacers started out hot as Aiden Kilkenny scored twice in the first period. The Knights responded with three goals of their own. The Pacers tied the game up in the fourth off of a Jake Plokhoy score. With time quickly fading, Marywood’s Nick Ericson connected on the game winner to give his team its first win of the season.

Marywood returned home on Wednesday to face the King’s College Monarchs. Ericson opened up the match up by putting the Pacers on the board first. The Monarchs fired back as they put up four consecutive goals in the second period. After halftime, King’s College extended their lead by two and the Pacers fell behind. Marywood entered the fourth period down 6-2 and tried everything for a miraculous comeback. The Pacers were able to come within one but the clock was not on their side. The Monarchs won 6-5.

Baseball
Last Friday the baseball team took on the University of Valley Forge Patriots. After the first inning, the Pacers found themselves down a run. The score would remain the same until the seventh, as Adam Ginsberg’s RBI single brought Christian Michak home. Marywood’s dominance continued in the eighth when they scored four more runs to extend their lead 5-1. Despite facing a large deficit, the Patriots rallied and managed to tie back the game in the eighth. The Pacers were unable to score in the top of the ninth and left the game into Valley Forge’s hands. Colin Orndorff hit a double and Joshua Nieberlein sprinted home for the game winning run. Marywood lost in a heartbreaker 6-5.

All statistics are from MarywoodPacers.com as of March 6.