Pacers Sports Report: Marywood Spring Sports Get Into Full Swing

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Softball
On Mon. March 25, Marywood softball traveled to Immaculata University to begin conference play. In game one of the double-header, sophomore Tori Para recorded a loss relieving the Pacers. She pitched for one and two-thirds innings, having no earned runs and allowing two runs and two walks. Freshman Marley Sarfinko led the Pacers with three hits while junior Emma McNally, freshman Kat Davis and Para each recorded two. Immaculata just outscored Marywood with a final score of 6-5.

During game two of the double-header, the Pacers outscored Immaculata University in the six inning matchup. Sophomore Marissa Gregory recorded her fourth win of the season, throwing a complete game shutout. She recorded three strikeouts and allowed four hits. Freshman Renee McDonald led the Pacers, recording three hits and two RBIs, while senior Abbey Stalter, McNally and Gregory each recorded two hits. The game ended with a final score of 8-0, with the Pacers coming out on top.

Just one day after claiming victory over Immaculata, Marywood faced Clarks Summit University at home in another double-header. In game one, Clarks Summit was shutout with Gregory recording yet another win, making her current record 5-2. Para led the Pacers offensively with three RBIs and two hits. The game ended with a final score of 9-0.

During game two, the Pacers dominated offensively once again. Para led the team with three hits and two RBIs. Sarafinko contributed one hit with two RBIs while Davis contributed two hits. Sophomore Sam Ferrara received the win for the Pacers recording two strikeouts and allowing two earned runs.

As of March 27, the Pacers record sits at 8-4 with a conference record of 1-1.

Baseball
On Fri. March 22, Marywood baseball hosted a double-header against Immaculata University. During game one, junior AJ Gianetti scored the Pacers’ only run after sophomore Adam Ginsberg hit into a fielder’s choice. Senior Nick Notari gave up five earned runs and had three strikeouts throughout the first five innings. The Pacers ultimately fell short to Immaculata with a final score of 6-1.

During game two of this double-header, the Pacers were unable to bounce back. Sophomore Max Ryan allowed two earned runs and had six strikeouts during the five innings he pitched. Marywood totalled 12 hits and allowed two errors throughout the game. Vinny D’Auria, Gianetti and Joe Yanelli each contributed two hits while Tristain Gatchalain contributed three. The Pacers were shut out by Immaculata with a final score of 5-0.

On Mon. March 25, the Pacers traveled to Immaculata University for the final game of their three game series. The Pacers were unable to match the Mighty Macs’ dominance, falling short with a final score of 21-3. Freshman Owen Riley recorded his first loss of his college career, contributing one strikeout and allowing six hits and six walks. Junior Max Slusser and D’Auria led the Pacers with two hits each.

The Pacers took on Clarks Summit University at home on Wed. March 26. Bouncing back from their previous few games, the Pacers finally got the bats going. During the five inning matchup, the Pacers tallied up 15 total hits with D’Auria having hit for the cycle. Sophomore Connor Watkins received his first win of the season on the mound, earning a record of 1-0. Gianetti set the Marywood record for single game walks with five in total. The Pacers are finally starting to get back into their groove with a final score of 23-1.

As of March 27, the Pacers have a conference record of 0-3 and an overall record of 9-6.

Women’s Lacrosse
On Fri. March 22, Marywood women’s lacrosse took on Stockton University at home. Sophomore Avery Meighan led the Pacers with 3 goals followed by junior Kortney Harry, who contributed two goals. Freshman Jenna Scala finished the game with 23 saves in the goal making this the conference-high for stops this season. The Pacers were outshot by Stockton 39-19. The matchup ended with a final score of 11-8 with Stockton coming out on top.

After the loss, the Pacers traveled to Alvernia University on March 27. Marywood finished the first period down 4-3, before Meighan scored twice, followed by sophomore Kaitlyn Smith adding another to give the Pacers a one goal lead at the half. Meighan scored to start the third, but Alvernia took the lead with three straight goals. The lead was short-lived as Smith, senior Olivia Stollsteimer and Harry all scored in the third to give Marywood the advantage. The Pacers scored four times in the fourth to clinch the win, 14-9.

Men’s Lacrosse
On Wed. March 27, Marywood men’s lacrosse was on the road against Keystone College. Marywood fell behind 2-0 early, and freshman Lucas Wilson trimmed the deficit. Keystone answered back, before two goals by senior Nick Ericson tied it. Both teams traded goals, until senior Aiden Kilkenny and Ericson gave the Pacers the lead at halftime. Keystone would tie it early in the third, but Kilkenny and Ericson would strike again, giving the Pacers a lead that would be held onto, as the Pacers won 15-8.

Women’s Tennis
On Sun. March 24, the Marywood Pacers traveled to Pratt Institute in Bronx, N.Y. where no player was able to record a match win resulting in an 0-9 loss.

Just two days later, the Pacers hosted Clarks Summit University at home resulting in a complete opposite outcome. Throughout the Pacers’ nine matches, Clarks Summit was only able to record 11 points. Marywood finished with a 9-0 win making the team’s record 2-3.

Men’s Tennis
The Men’s tennis team also traveled to Bronx, N.Y. on Sun. March 24 to face Pratt Institute. Marywood was unsuccessful in the outing, losing all singles and doubles matches. The Pacers ended up with an 0-9 loss.

Following a tough loss against Pratt, the Pacers were looking to prevail against the Defenders on March 26. Marywood was able to claim victory against Clarks Summit winning two doubles matches and four singles matches. The Pacers recorded the first win of the spring season, making the team’s current record 1-4.

All stats are from MarywoodPacers.com as of March 27, 2024.