Pacers Sports Report: Four Pacers Postseason Runs Ended

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Baseball
Continuing a six game in five day run, Marywood returned home from Albright College to host Manhattanville College. The bats were scorching, with the Pacers scoring two or more runs in all but one inning. Christian Michak was exceptional, going 4-5, with three runs, two RBIs and a stolen base. The Pacers entered the weekend conference series on a three-game winning streak, knocking off the Valiants 20-0.

Friday kicked off Marywood’s penultimate conference series, facing the Gwynedd Mercy University Griffins. Despite issuing three walks and hitting three batters, Max Ryan was able to limit the Griffins’ damage to just one run over 4.2 innings. Marywood was able to match the lone run in the sixth, when Michak came around to score. A lead off double, followed by a sacrifice bunt and a wild pitch would put the Griffins back in front. Marywood threatened in both the eighth and ninth, having a runner in scoring position, but were unable to bring him home, falling to the Griffins 2-1.

Looking to rebound, Marywood went on the road for the doubleheader portion of the series. Despite allowing a first inning run, the Pacers struck thrice in the second inning. The lead was short-lived, as in the fourth inning, four Griffins came around to score. A Tristan Gatchalain single narrowed the deficit, but were unable to strike again, losing 5-4.

In desperate need of a victory, Marywood took the field once again against the Griffins. Gwynedd Mercy struck early and often, scoring five runs in the first three innings, while tallying three more in the sixth. The Pacers were able to strike for three runs in the seventh and eighth inning, but weren’t able to mount a full comeback, being swept 8-3.

Softball
To prepare for its final conference series, the Pacers hosted Keystone College. Emma McNally opened the scoring with an RBI single in the first, before the Pacers struck twice in the third inning. Keystone cut into the deficit in the fourth inning, before Marywood scored three times in the sixth, putting the nail in the coffin, winning 6-1.

After two silent frames from both offenses, McNally and Lauryn Notari drove home three runs. Errors hindered Marywood in the fourth, as Keystone tied the game. Marywood matched Keystone in the bottom of the frame, regaining a three run advantage. The top of the sixth would see the Pacers unravel, as four runs would cross the plate. The Pacers had runners on the corners to start the bottom of the sixth, but that was the closest Marywood would get to mounting a comeback, splitting the doubleheader 7-6.

In its final conference doubleheader, Marywood traveled to Centenary University to face the Cyclones. Both pitchers were untouchable through two innings, before Kat Davis singled home the first run. Marley Sarafinko blasted a two-run shot in the fourth inning to extend the lead. The Cyclones crossed the plate five times in the bottom of the fourth. A sacrifice fly from Priscilla Grill cut the Cyclones’ lead in half. The Pacers were able to get the tying run on base in both the sixth and seventh inning, but were unable to produce, falling 7-6.

The Cyclones wasted no time in game two, scoring six runs in the first. Centenary would produce a run in the third, before producing the game-ending run in the fifth, sweeping the Pacers, 8-0.

In the final doubleheader of the regular season, the Pacers hosted its cross-town rivals, the University of Scranton Royals. The Royals opened the scoring, plating one in the top of the first, before Tori Para and McNally drove in a run each. Scranton scored three runs in the top of the third, but the advantage was gone shortly after, with Marywood matching the Royals, reclaiming the lead. Marissa Gregory blanked the Royals for the next three innings, but were able to bring home the game-tying run in the seventh, forcing extra innings. The Royals tallied another run in extras, but Marywood was unable to do the same, falling 8-7.

McNally opened the scoring in game two with an RBI single. The Royals tied the game in the top of the third. The draw was over quickly, as Para’s sacrifice fly opened a five-run third inning for the Pacers. After Sam Ferrera blanked the Royals over the next two innings, Davis and Para brought home the game-ending runs, with Marywood taking game two, 9-1.

Men’s Lacrosse
In its first round matchup of the Atlantic East Conference playoffs, the Pacers were pitted against the Marymount University Saints. After allowing the first goal of the game, the Pacers struck twice, with Nick Ericson and John Scibello. Marymount regained the lead, but Scibello and Ericson struck again, knotting the game in the second period. Marymount scored twice in the final 15 seconds in the second period to take the lead into halftime. The Saints came out swinging, scoring six in the third period, before scoring six more in the fourth, ending the Pacers season, 19-7.

The Pacers ended its season 3-13, going winless at home, while finishing 1-5 in conference. Scibello led the Pacers in assists (14) and points (31). Ericson led the Pacers in goals scored with 21, while finishing second in points. Dillon Kane, Aiden Kilkenny and Jake Plokhoy all finished with double digit goals and 20 or more points.

Women’s Lacrosse
Marywood finished the regular season as the third seed in the Atlantic East Conference, so the Pacers hosted the Gwynedd Mercy University Griffins. Kaitlyn Smith and Avery Meighan opened the scoring for Marywood, but the Griffins answered with four unanswered goals to take the lead. Marywood reclaimed the lead, before Olivia Stollsteimer extended it. The Griffins and Pacers went tit-for-tat to end the second, with Marywood holding the lead at the break. Meighan opened the scoring in the third period. Gwynedd Mercy answered back, but Meighan, Smith, Stollsteimer and Tori Wilson all scored, giving Marywood an advantage that was too insurmountable for the Griffins as the Pacers advanced, 22-12.

In the semifinals, Marywood traveled to Marymount University to face the Saints. Marymount took the lead early, scoring twice in the first 65 seconds. This was foreshadowing for the rest of the game, as Marymount destroyed the Pacers, ending its season with a 19-2 victory.

Meighan was named as the Atlantic East Player of the Week after scoring eight goals and assisting four against Immaculata University to help secure the three seed.

Marywood finished its season 9-9, with a 4-2 record in conference play. Meighan led the Pacers in goals (73), assists (40) and points (113). Smith was exceptional as well, finishing with 62 goals, 31 assists and 94 points.

Men’s Tennis
Finishing the regular season as the fourth seed, Marywood was set to face the top seeded Marymount Saints. The Pacers were dominated, being swept 6-0 to finish its season.

The men’s tennis team finished its season 1-9, with the sole victory coming over Clarks Summit University. Alex Ni finished the season with the best singles record for the Pacers, finishing 3-4.

Women’s Tennis
With its win over Immaculata, Marywood finished as the two seed in the conference, set to face Neumann University in the AEC semifinals. The Pacers took two of the three doubles matches. Faith Kendricks, Kylie Kilgore and Cat English won their singles matches, clinching a championship berth, with a 5-3 victory.

In the championship, Marywood faced the Marymount University Saints. Marymount dominated the Pacers, sweeping the doubles matches, before taking the first two singles matches, clinching the AEC championship, knocking off the Pacers 5-0.

The women’s tennis team finished its season 6-5. Kilgore led the Pacers in singles wins, going 7-3 this season. Kendricks and McKenna Seavey were the most successful doubles team, finishing 4-6.

All stats are from MarywoodPacers.com as of May 1, 2024