Popcorn Picks Review: Fall Preview

Photo credit/ Anne Marie Fox

Courtesy of (from left to right) Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures and 20th Century Fox

Bethany Wade, Photography Editor

After the weakest summer box office in over a decade, it’s hard to find hope in the upcoming fall release schedule. Even the smash hit “Wonder Woman” failed to save the box office.

However, the fall has some strong players. Films like “It,” “mother!,” “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” and “Blade Runner: 2049” will draw in horror and actions fans. The box office winners are going to be the big names coming to theaters this fall: “Justice League,” “Thor: Ragnarok” and of course “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”

To help you plan out your future movie theater trips, here’s an overview of the major film releases from now through December.

Action

“Kingsman: The Golden Circle” is going to be September’s big action release. The follow-up to the 2014 sleeper hit has the titular organization broken apart. Eggsy, Harry and Merlin have to team up with their American cousin organization, the Statesmen, to defeat their new foe: Poppy. “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” opens Sept. 22.

“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” which will premiere 22 years after “Jumanji,” takes audiences back into the tropical game world. The four students who get transported into the game are playing the video game adaption of the board game seen in the original. “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” opens Dec. 20.

Does this one even need an introduction? “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is the second film in the new trilogy, picking right up where 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” left off. We know very little about the film currently, but as it gets closer to its release, more details will be released. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opens Dec. 15.

Comedy

Based on the true rivalry of tennis players Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, “Battle of the Sexes” takes a look at the historic Battle of the Sexes tennis match played against King and Riggs. With Emma Stone and Steve Carell starring as the two players, it’s sure to be a comedic look at such a historic match. “Battle of the Sexes” opens Sept. 22.

The trilogy spawned by the 2012 smash hit comes to an end with “Pitch Perfect 3.” In an attempt to sing together one last time, the Bellas enter a singing competition for the troops overseas. But when they have to compete against real bands, it becomes a challenge to find a way to come out on top. “Pitch Perfect 3” opens Dec. 22.

Horror

Steven King’s legendary horror novel has come to life once again. “It” focuses on the small town of Derry and the disappearances of its residents. A group of children are determined to find out the town’s dark secret, but they get more than they bargained for when they become Pennywise’s next targets. “It” is in theaters now.

“mother!” focuses around a young couple whose peaceful life is disrupted when a mysterious couple begins to live with them. The information released about this movie is vague, but the trailer shows plenty of thrills for audiences. “mother!” opens Sept. 15.

The world renowned “Saw” franchise has a new installment. “Jigsaw” takes place 10 years after the death of the titular killer, as a group of detectives try to put together the pieces when a murder spree resembles Jigsaw’s habits. “Jigsaw” opens Oct. 27.

Superhero

After getting her own film and becoming one of the highest earning superheroes, Wonder Woman is ready to team up with the rest of the DC universe in “Justice League.” Batman and Superman return with a new cast of heroes, including The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. “Justice League” opens Nov. 17.

The third Marvel release of the year and third Thor film, “Thor: Ragnarok” takes us back to Asgard and the world of the gods. The film also gives us answers to what happened to the Hulk after “Avengers: Age of Ulton” and features Tom Hiddleston reprising the fan favorite trickster Loki. “Thor: Ragnarok” opens Nov. 3.

With these and plenty more films coming out this fall, there’s plenty to see. To help make your decision on which movies to buy a ticket to, here are the three biggest films that should be on your radar.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The first is “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” This is the film that alone will make up for the disappointing summer box office in sales. These films introduce the classic fan favorites to a new generation, while also introducing new characters. On top of that, this is Carrie Fisher’s final appearance in film as Princess Leia because of her untimely death in December 2016.

It
The second movie to watch for will be “It.” Many people recount being traumatized by Tim Curry as Pennywise in the 1990 miniseries, based on Steven King’s terrifying novel. Now, a new group of kids will be introduced to one of horror’s most terrifying monsters, giving a new generation a fear of clowns.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Last but certainly not least is “Kingsman: The Golden Circle.” This film may be a sequel to the 2014 comedy-action film, but its story is built so a stranger to the franchise can watch with no confusion. Those interested in the posh world of British espionage will definitely enjoy this film’s satirical take on the classic Bond films. Those who aren’t so big on spy films may enjoy the powerful action scenes and beautifully choreographed fight sequences. Plus, who doesn’t want to see what an American spy would look like?

The fall movie season is upon us and just like always, the world will be blessed with a bountiful selection of new films to see.

Twitter: @BethanyWadeTWW