Two annual events combine for first College Carnival

Erin Yeager

KidStuff and College Athlete for a Day, two events which are normally held separately, are coming together on Marywood University’s campus for one day filled with games, fun and prizes.

College Carnival, formally known as KidStuff and College Athlete for a Day, will be held on April 14. The event will be located in both the Latour Room of the Nazareth Student Center as well as the Center for Athletics and Wellness gymnasium.

Different groups, both on campus and off campus, are volunteering and putting together activities for the younger and the older kids. These groups include organizations from Athletics and Training, sororities and fraternities, Friends of the Poor, the Boys and Girls Club and others.

The event is focused around less fortunate kids and students between the ages of 4 and 18. The groups that will be volunteering will be providing food for the kids and will also be planning activities for all ages.

Anna Notchick, senior history major and a member of the the service-based sorority Alpha Sigma Psi, is one of the coordinators for College Carnival. Notchick explained why KidStuff and College Athlete for a Day merged together for the event.

“There are going to be a lot of cool things to do for underprivileged kids, things that they don’t have at home,” Notchick said. “It’s also a preview to Marywood University for older kids, too. They can get a feel of the campus and the athletics, which can inspire them to attend here.”

Jessica McMinn, junior nutrition major and member of the health-oriented group GetFruved, said this is a perfect opportunity to push kids of all ages to become more active while also having fun.

“I think a lot of people don’t equate fun with activity or exercise,” McMinn said. “Not only is it a good opportunity to volunteer, but those who do volunteer are helping to push an ongoing narrative.”

Volunteers will be paired with one child in the morning and then a group of children in the afternoon while participating in activities with their assigned children.

Notchick stressed the importance of volunteering for this event.

“Underprivileged children do exist, particularly in this area,” Notchick said. “We want this day to be the best possible day for these kids, even if it’s just for a couple hours.”

Though registration’s due date for the actual volunteer work has passed, students are still asked to contact Anna Notchick at [email protected] to help set up decorations and to assist in making food for the event.

Contact the Writer: [email protected]

About the Writer
Erin Yeager, Community Editor

Erin Yeager is the community editor of The Wood Word.

• Two annual events combine for first College Carnival

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer is looking to finish the season strong

Variance request vote for Marywood South tabled for 30 days

Featured Multimedia

Sports Talk S. 2 Episode 3: NFL season and MLB Playoffs update

Sports

ANALYSIS: Women’s soccer is confident moving into a new conference

Arts & Entertainment

Popcorn Picks Review: ‘Venom’

NEWS BRIEF: Steam system repair to occur during fall break

Community

SALD to host second annual CONQUER Student Leadership Conference

Opinion

OPINION: ‘A Million Little Things’ is the emotional rollercoaster we deserve

Sports

PACERS SPORTS REPORT: Field hockey continues hot start; volleyball closes out non-conference play on five match winning streak

Opinion

OPINION: ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ is the nation’s wake up call and we keep snoozing