Associate Marywood professor will bring audiences back in time with solo recital

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo credit/ Thomas Kerrigan

Photo credit/ Thomas Kerrigan

Photo credit/ Thomas Kerrigan

Megan Reynolds, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The Marywood community will soon get the opportunity to see what a solo violin is really capable of.

On Friday Sept. 27, Associate Professor in the Music, Theater and Dance department Sophie Till will be performing a solo violin recital titled “One Woman and Her Violin.”

Till will perform four unaccompanied pieces ranging from “Chaconne from partita in D Minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach to a piece written specifically for her. Till will perform on a violin that was constructed in 1732.

“All these pieces explore what the violin can really do as a solo instrument,” said Till. “The culmination of the pieces being these revolutionary and exploratory pieces for the instrument is the fact that the [violin] I’m going to play on is from the same period as [Bach’s] Chaconne.”

Junior Music Therapy Major Trevor Sablan believes concerts such as this can provide a glimpse into music history.

“It is good to get a feel of what music was like before today,” said Sablan. “Those who go are in for a great performance.”

Admission to “One Woman and Her Violin” is free and will take place at 7 p.m. at the Marian Chapel in the Schwartz Center for Spiritual Life.