Sr. John Says: We have a choice when it comes to climate change

Sr. John Michele Southwick, IHM, Special Contributor

You have seen the signs: “There is no Planet B!”

Or as Pope Francis tells us: “We received this world as an inheritance from past generations, but also as a loan from future generations, to whom we will have to return it!”

How do you want your children to inherit it? Filled with plastic and garbage or filled with life and animals to enjoy?

We have a choice. What will you choose?

The world was given to us and is ours to nurture and care for, to use for the common good. We must take care of what we use and how we dispose of it, what we buy and how we discard what we no longer need.

Maybe we need to ask ourselves the question: what do we need? Consumerism has become the norm, and we have fallen into it unconsciously. Do I need it or do I want it? Do I know the difference? We think we need things but really we don’t. We just want them. Why?

We are so used to using things and then throwing them away. To where? A landfill, where they will sit for hundreds of years, piling up and up, needing more and more landfills. Why? Could I have done something more constructive with it?

We are now reading in the news that we are eating and drinking micro plastic pieces in our water and our food. Why?

Is there something we can do?

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Why?

Because our choices matter.

Come and find out how your choices matter on Nov. 6 at Advocacy Day on campus, where there will be many opportunities to get involved in ways to make change in our lives, in our nation and in our world. Be a part of the Climate Simulation where you will see how your choices matter not only to you but to those less fortunate.

Hope to see you on Nov. 6.