Who’s Who on Campus: Meet Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Dr. Yerodin Lucas

Photo credit: Sydney Toy

Elizabeth Deroba, Contributor

Although Dr. Yerodin Lucas is in a new position, this isn’t his first time stepping onto Marywood’s campus.

Lucas received his doctorate from Marywood University in Administration and Leadership and previously served as the Residence Director for the Woodlands. He now serves as Marywood University’s new Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.

As the Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Lucas is responsible for making sure that people from different backgrounds feel welcome and included on campus, inside and outside of the classroom.

Lucas also serves as Marywood University’s Title IX Coordinator, working closely Dean of Students Ross Novak and Deputy Title IX Coordinators.

“I think he’s a very capable individual,” said Novak.

Assistant Social Sciences Professor and member of Marywood’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Dr. Adam Shprintzen said he is excited to see Lucas take on this new role, describing him as extremely approachable and driven.

Some of Lucas’ main responsibilities include helping faculty refine their lesson plans to be as inclusive as possible, making sure the university complies with all Department of Education regulations concerning Title IX and supporting all of the faculty, staff and students.

Lucas said he’s enjoying his new position and looks forward to bringing new ideas to campus.

“I’m learning a lot about how institutions outside of Marywood are dealing with their own equity and inclusion issues on their campuses,” said Lucas. “I’m learning how to take some of those ideas and how to bring in some of my own ideas and bring in ideas from the Marywood community and make sure we are moving forward to the point that we are being leaders, especially in the northeast PA region, in terms of opening our campus up and being equitable and inclusive of the communities that are in and around our campus.”

Lucas said he hopes to bring more awareness of the office’s services to campus by hosting equity and inclusion events

“I want to make sure that everyone is informed and understanding of what equity is, what it looks like [and] how it feels from person to person because what I need to feel whole could be different from what someone else needs to feel whole and that’s what equity is all about.”

Lucas said his overall goal is to help all students on campus feel welcomed.

“Sometimes students have an issue and they don’t know where to go, so we’re here, and even if it’s not part of this office, we’re still here to help you get to the right office,” said Lucas.