Maxis the Mascot’s new look revealed at ‘Maxis Mania’ event

Photo credit: Ashlyn Jess

Ashlyn Jess, Sports Editor

After it was announced that Marywood’s mascot, Maxis, would be getting an upgrade, members of the campus community have been waiting to see the result.

This past Wednesday, Marywood hosted its first ever “Maxis Mania” event and revealed the look of its new and improved mascot.

Marywood’s Marketing Department and Office of Student Engagement have been working to create the new look and make sure everyone was updated with how the process was unfolding.

Posts from the university’s Instagram showed how Maxis was changing. Thanks to the posts, the campus community was able to see that the pacer was eating healthier, working out and changing his fashion sense.

Sophomore Softball player Caitlyn Becher was at the event with her team and she said she had a fun time.

“There were a lot of people and a lot of student athletes,” said Becher. “Personally, I had so much fun. I enjoy watching the games and seeing the new Maxis was fun. I also got a lot of new Marywood swag.”

With the help of Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Murphy, the marketing department put together the event, which took place during halftime of the men’s basketball game. At halftime, Maxis broke through a banner and paraded around the fans as the dance team and cheer squad joined together for a routine.

Digital Marketing Coordinator Ashley Kruchinsky said a lot of hard work went into the creation of mascot’s new look.

“There were a lot of people that worked hard on creating the new Maxis, especially in the Marketing Department and Office of Student Engagement,” said Kruchinsky. “We wanted to make sure he would look fierce but attractive and would look better in pictures than the old Maxis.”

Many of Marywood’s sports teams were in attendance to show support for both the men’s and women’s teams. The women fell to the Neumann Knights 67-61 while the men came out victorious over the Knights 71-69. After the games, free wings and cookies were available for fans and athletes to enjoy.

Kruchinsky said that she believes the event was ultimately a success.

“I think the event went really well, we had an awesome turn out and everyone was really excited to see what Maxis looks like, so I couldn’t have asked for a better way to reveal our new mascot.”

You can find Maxis on TikTok by searching @MAXISGILLET.

Twitter: @tww_ajess