Pacers Sports Report: How is Marywood Doing in Conference Play?

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Ardan and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Women’s Basketball
On Jan. 17, the women’s basketball team traveled to Aston P.a. to take on Neumann University. Marywood was on a two-game losing streak and looking to turn things around. The Pacers were significantly outscored in the first quarter but quickly turned it around in the second.

Marywood entered the half down 24-20. In the start of the third, Neumann went on a scoring run and never looked back, defeating Marywood 56-36. Alli Griscavage was a top performer for the Pacers as she recorded 10 rebounds and scored seven points.

The following Saturday, Marywood returned home to take on Centenary University. The Pacer offense was clicking in the first quarter but struggled for the majority of the event.

The Pacers 17 point lead shrunk to only a one point lead late in the fourth. Marywood was able to get it together and go on a 10-3 scoring run to end the game. Faith Kendricks and Rachel McDonald combined for 33 of Marywood’s points in the 60-52 victory.

This past Wednesday, the Pacers went back on the road to face Gwynedd Mercy University, who was looking for its first conference win of the year. Stephanie Klemick and Mia Blume were electric in the first quarter and had 14 of Marywood’s 19 points. Both players slowed down in the second quarter but the Pacers still entered the break up 36-31.

Most of the second half was neck and neck. Neither team could build up a big lead until late in the fourth. Blume scored seven points in the final three minutes of the fourth and pulled out the victory, 79-69. Blume finished the day with 21 points and five boards.

Men’s Basketball
The men’s basketball team was on a two-game winning streak when they faced Neumann University on Jan. 17. Marywood started out the game hot and led by 16 in the first half. Neumann started to comeback near halftime and the deficit was cut to eight.

The two schools went back and forth the remainder of the game with neither earning a big advantage. Neumann took control with a six score lead with 30 seconds to go. There was still hope for Marywood as Trevor Seitz hit a clutch three pointer. Ultimately it wasn’t enough to win the game for Marywood as they fell 73-69.

The next matchup on the schedule was a home game against Centenary University just three days later. Marywood had an explosive opening half and Centenary had no answers to stop them. The Pacers dominated as they led 42-22 heading into halftime.

Marywood kept the same mentality in the second half and continued to score. They put up 34 more points and crushed Centenary 76-53. The Pacers distributed the ball as four players had 11 or more points.

On Wednesday, Marywood had its final contest of the week against Gwynedd Mercy University. The Pacers sit one game below .500 and are 3-2 in conference play. Gwynedd has beaten Marywood in its last eight matchups dating back to 2019. Marywood’s defense struggled the entire first half and allowed 53 points to be scored on them.

This is the third time this season the Pacers have allowed 50+ in the first half. Marywood entered the locker room being down 53-36. Gwynedd continued its offensive domination as they scored 46 more points and won 99-77.

Women’s Swimming and Diving
The Swimming and Diving had a home tri-meet with Cabrini and Gallaudet University on Jan. 20. The women had a clean sweep, defeating Gallaudet 83-60 and Cabrini 73-26. Some noticeable performances were Emmerson Gellert’s 2:10.97 mark win in the 200 free, along with Aubrey Mangan 27.85 second win in the 50 free. The team moves to 7-7 on the year and 3-3 in conference play.

Men’s Swimming and Diving
On the same day, the men’s swimming and diving team also had a doubleheader at home against Cabrini and Gallaudet University. Similarly, they swept both schools with a 104-36 win over Gallaudet and a 76-68 close finish with Cabrini. Quinn Grosvenor had three separate victories on the day. Grosvenor won the 1,000 free, 500 free, and the 100 fly.

The group also honored Dylan Hervieux as it was his senior day. The team moves to 6-7 on the season and 3-1 in conference play. The men’s and women’s team have one final meet against Moravian University, before competing in the Atlantic East Conference Swimming Championships.

All statistics are from MarywoodPacers.com as of January 24 .