Pacers Sports Report: Swimming and Diving Go to the Championships

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Ardan and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt.

Women’s Basketball
Following a two-game winning streak, the women’s basketball team traveled to Arlington, Va., to face Marymount University on the evening of Jan. 27. Marywood wasn’t able to get anything going in the first half, only putting up 10 points while the Saints dropped 36. The Pacers improved in the second half, scoring 16 points in the third quarter and 14 in the fourth. It proved to be too little too late, however, as Marymount kept up their offensive onslaught and took the victory with a score of 74-40. Freshman Alli Griscavage led the Pacers with 10 points and seven rebounds.

The women came back home on Wednesday, Jan. 31, to end the month’s slate of games against Immaculata University. The Pacers held a two-point advantage going into the break after a back-and-forth first half. The fierce battle continued on in the third quarter as Immaculata brought the score within one. The Pacers ran out of steam in the end, being outscored by eight in the final quarter and dropping the game 60-53. Stephanie Klemick had a great night on the boards, grabbing a career-high 13 rebounds. The loss brings Marywood to an 8-12 (2-5 AEC) record. Next on the docket is a bus ride to New Jersey to face the Centenary Cyclones on Feb. 7.

Men’s Basketball
The men’s basketball team also took on Marymount University in Arlington on Saturday, Jan. 27.. Despite being underdogs against the conference powerhouse Saints, Marywood battled through the first half and took a three-point lead going into the break, the score sitting 39-36. The Saints seemed to solve their problems during halftime, as they jumped out to an eight-point lead. However, the Pacers found momentum in their shots from behind the arc to keep it competitive. Trevor Seitz hit a crucial three-pointer to retake the lead late in the game, and the Pacers held on to win 71-68. The upset gave Marymount their first conference loss.

This week saw both men’s basketball games come down to the wire. The men also hosted Immaculata at home on Jan. 31, and similarly to the women’s game, it was tight throughout both halves. Immaculata took a 39-31 lead going into halftime, but Marywood clawed their way within three points with seconds left. Brendan Franko dished it to Seitz from an inbound pass, and the sharpshooter knocked a three down from the corner to tie the game at 77 apiece with 4.3 seconds remaining. Immaculata quickly took the wind out of the Pacers’ sails with a buzzer-beater that banked in from just past half court. The heartbreaking loss dropped them further below .500, giving them a 9-11 (4-4 AEC) record going into the last few games of the regular season. The men return to home action in an out-of-conference matchup against Pratt Institute on Feb. 3.

Women’s Swimming and Diving
Women’s swimming and diving stayed in Scranton on Jan. 27 for the final meet of the season. They soundly defeated Moravian University 89-48 to boost their record to 8-7. The team also went .500 in conference. Samantha Peck and Emerson Gellert led the women by winning two events each – Peck took the 1,000 free and 100 breast, while Gellert won the 200 and 500 free. Aubrey Mangan also took a victory on the day in the 100 breast with a time of 5:18.96. The women will now prepare for the Atlantic East Conference Swimming Championships held in St. Mary’s City, MD. from Feb. 15 through Feb. 18.

Men’s Swimming and Diving
The men’s swimming and diving team also competed against Moravian at home on Jan. 27. The Pacers dominated the Greyhounds, winning 90-16. Johnny Wargins had himself a day, winning the 50 and 100 free. Dylan Hervieux took his final home victory in the 200 IM with a time of 2:17.01. The win puts Marywood at 7-7 on the season, and they are also headed to the AEC Swimming Championships.

All statistics are from MarywoodPacers.com as of January 31.