Pacers Sports Report: The Basketball Regular Season Wrapping Up

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan, Vincent Goldschmidt, Sabrina Resuta
Pictures by Jason Arden and Vincent Goldschmidt. Graphics by Sabrina Resuta and Vincent Goldschmidt

Women’s Basketball
On Saturday, Feb. 10 the women’s basketball team was unable to match Neumann University’s dominance and ultimately fell short, with a final score of 59-49. The first quarter was a back and forth battle, with Neumann coming out on top by one point. However, in the second quarter, it was even closer, with each team scoring 10 points. The Pacers were at their strongest offensively during the third quarter, scoring 16 points and having a lead of 39-37 entering the fourth quarter. In the fourth, the Pacers were unable to keep their momentum, only scoring 10 more points with Nuemann scoring 22 points. Sophomore Mia Blume led the Pacers with 11 total points followed by junior Faith Kendricks scoring 9 points and having eight rebounds.

Just four days later, on Wednesday, Feb. 14, the Pacers faced off against Gwynedd Mercy University. Unfortunately, Marywood was unable to match Gwynedd Mercy’s intensity and ended up falling short with a final score of 77-46. Leading the Pacers were freshman Kendel Card and Blume, each scoring 12 points throughout the matchup. The Pacers’ next game will take place on Monday, Feb 19 and is the first round of the Atlantic East Conference playoffs.

Men’s Basketball
The men’s basketball team hosted senior night on Saturday, Feb. 10, honoring seniors Declan McCarthy and Robert Van Brunt. Following the ceremony the Pacers faced-off against Neumann University, claiming victory with a final score of 86-79. At the end of the first half, the Pacers were up 39-36. During the second half, the Pacers were even more dominant, scoring 47 points. Junior Brendan Franko led the Pacers with 25 total points and six rebounds. This week, Franko was named Atlantic East Conference Player of the Week after averaging 23 points in his previous two games. Just behind Franko was junior Mason Mendygral who contributed 18 points and seven rebounds.

Four days after claiming victory over Neumann University, the men’s basketball team’s three-game winning streak came to an end. On Wednesday, Feb. 14, the Pacers’ took on the Gwynedd Mercy Griffins at home where they were unable to dominate. Mendygral contributed 18 points for the Pacers, while sophomore Colin Himmelberg and Franko each put up 17 points. The matchup ended with a final score of 91-74.

As of Feb. 18, the men’s team has an overall record of 13-12 with a 7-5 conference record. The Pacers currently sit in third place in the conference.