The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Oct/Nov Field Hockey Recap

Photo credit/ Vincent Goldschmidt
Marywood field hockey finished their season with a winning record of 15-5.

Although building a winning record of 8-2 through the months of October and November, the Marywood field hockey team ultimately fell short 1-0 to St. Mary’s College of Maryland in the Atlantic East Conference championship.

Oct. 2: Home vs. Wilkes University

The Pacers started October off strong with a 5-1 win over Wilkes University. Senior Cydney Lahr and junior Lauren Youngken each recorded two goals for the Pacers while junior Belle Coleman also contributed a goal. The Pacers had seven shots on goal. Freshman Lianna Horner tallied two saves in goal.

Oct. 4: Away vs. DeSales University

In their first away game of October, the Pacers claimed victory against DeSales University. The Pacers had a total of two goals coming from sophomore Dariane Jones and Lahr. Junior Cassie Slusser and Jones each had an assist. In the cage, freshman Leah Ewing had eight saves. The matchup ended with a final score of 2-1.

Oct. 7: Home vs. Manhattanville College

On Saturday, Oct. 7, the Pacers returned home ready to dominate. The team racked up 47 shots, with 38 shots on goal. Slusser achieved her first career hat trick with goals in the first, second and third quarters. Sophomore Brie Sumner and Lahr each tallied two goals while freshmen Ava Howells, Felicia Pestcatore and Jones each scored once. Ewing had two saves in the cage, shutting out Manhattanville 10-0.

Oct. 10: Away vs. Cabrini University

The Pacers kept their winning streak alive at Cabrini University. Sumner had a stellar performance, yet again scoring two goals, assisted by Lahr and sophomore Jordan Saybe. Lahr and Saybe also had goals of their own. The Pacers tallied 17 shots with 11 shots on goal. In the cage, Ewing had five saves throughout the matchup for a final score of 4-2.

Oct. 14: Away vs. Gwynedd Mercy University

The Pacers secured another win at Gwynedd Mercy University, making this their fifth straight victory. Ewing had yet another shutout, blocking three shots. Lahr led the Pacers in goals with one goal in both the first and third quarters. Slusser and Coleman also recorded goals. The final score was 4-0.

Oct. 17: Home vs. Immaculata University

Coming off of a strong away win at Gwynedd Mercy, the Pacers returned home to dominate once again. Saybe and Jones each contributed a goal while Sumner scored twice, making this her third game this season with two goals. Once again, Ewing had three saves in the cage in the 4-1 victory.

Oct. 21: Home vs. St. Mary’s College of Maryland

The Pacers’ six-game win streak ended as they fell short to St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Ewing had five saves throughout the matchup. The first three quarters were quiet, with no goals being scored until the fourth, ultimately leading to a final score of 1-0.

Oct. 25: Away vs. Neumann University

Four days later, the Pacers bounced back, claiming victory over Neumann University. Lahr contributed two goals while Jones and Youngken each contributed one goal. Twenty-three of the Pacers’ 27 shots were on goal. The Knights were shutout 4-0, with Ewing having three saves in the cage.

Nov. 1: Home vs. Immaculata University

To start the new month, the Pacers returned home to face Immaculata University in the Atlantic East Conference semifinals. Early in the second quarter, Lahr connected with the net, breaking the Pacers’ single-season point record. The Pacers’ final goal came in the fourth quarter by Youngken. Marywood had 20 shots, with 15 on goal. The Pacers’ defense kept Immaculata to one shot on goal. The matchup ended with a final score of 2-0, sending the Pacers to the Atlantic East Conference championship.

Nov. 5: Away vs. St. Mary’s College of Maryland

The Pacers’ season ended with a tough 1-0 loss to St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Ewing allowed the game’s only goal during the third quarter. The win made this St. Mary’s third conference championship win in a row.

In addition to finishing as runners up of the Atlantic East Conference, multiple Pacers won individual awards. Junior Corrin Hasty took the Elite 20 award, with the highest cumulative GPA in the conference. Slusser, Lahr, Youngken and Ewing were named First Team All-Conference while Klaira Bievenour, Jones, Sumner and Hasty were named Second Team All-Conference. Ewing captured Rookie of the Year, with Marywood selected for Coaching Staff of the Year. The Pacers finished with an overall record of 14-5 and a conference regular season record of 5-1.