OPINION: Goodbye Atrium Café, Hello Market at Marywood

Photo credit/ Thomas Kerrigan

The Market at Marywood, located in the McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies, is opened Monday through Thursday 11-6 p.m., and on Friday’s 11-2 p.m.

Victoria DeFrancis, Staff Writer

This year the Marywood community said farewell to the Atrium Café. Instead, it has been replaced with a mini-convenient store in the McGowan Center called Market at Marywood.

The Atrium Café was always a great dining option on campus. I will miss being able to get food and sweets such as cheesesteaks, omelets, grilled cheese, spicy tenders, milkshakes and more. While the Atrium Café will be missed, it does not mean we should not take advantage of the change.
I have heard complaints about the Market at Marywood only having a few items, but I disagree. It is an interesting change and a step up in snack options.
While the Atrium Café was more oriented towards meals and had a small variety of snack options, the Market at Marywood is the opposite. Like the Study Grounds, the Market at Marywood offers to-go items such as sandwiches, subs, yogurt and more.
What sets the Market at Marywood apart from the Study Grounds is that the former has a larger selection of snacks and food for dorms. The Market at Marywood also has a selection of household items like toothpaste and dish soap.
Since I, unfortunately, do not drive, it is hard to go grocery shopping or purchase any small things I may need. The addition of the Market at Marywood has significantly helped with convenience.
I also enjoy going down to the Market at Marywood and seeing the variety of options available. I usually go for ramen cups, macaroni and cheese and, occasionally, some Ben & Jerry’s, my favorite ice cream brand.
Although I enjoy the Market at Marywood there is still a void on campus without the Atrium Café. During my first year at Marywood, Friday was always my favorite day of the week because the Study Grounds would serve pizza every Friday. I think if more hot food options were added to the menu it would help fill the void left by the loss of the Atrium Café.
I would not say the Market at Marywood beats the Atrium Café, but I believe it’s worth a try. You never know, you might be surprised to find something you like. Take a quick trip down and see what goodies you can find.
The Marywood Market is open Monday through Thursday 11-6 p.m., and Fridays 11-2 p.m.